HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   What the.... I probably shouldn't be laughing (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/what-i-probably-shouldnt-laughing-91189/)

jirobinson13 11-06-2011 09:32 PM

What the.... I probably shouldn't be laughing

Hey guys,
First post here...I don't actually own a Civic but I have an 03 Odyssey, 04 Accord, 09 MDX and just recently got rid of a 00 CR-V. Basically I know a couple of things about Honda's.

My friend just recently got an 01 Civic with 160,xxx miles on it. Couple of problems with it that we're fixing slowly.

Yesterday the radio completely froze. Not died...froze...The clock was stuck and no buttons did anything. Illumination did work though. SRS light was on too. Google searching told me the alternator was probably putting out a spiked voltage of around 16volts. I ran a test with a multi-meter and stupidly didn't realize the alternator was only putting out 12volts at idle and 13.x at mid/high rpm. I was only looking for high voltage, not low. Decided to go ahead and replace the battery since it was still under warranty. Swapped it out and ta-da the car seems fine. Radio works fine... i do the paper clip method to reset the SRS light and all is well. 10 minutes later the radio locks up while on. It continues to play the radio but we can't adjust the volume or anything at all. Turn the key off...radio is still on. Unplug the radio fuse....RADIO IS STILL ON. I had to unplug the battery to get it to turn off! I have a video of this to prove it. Anyway after the battery is unplugged and plugged back in the radio is completely dead.

Fast forward to today...
Today the engine started dying at every stop light. I cleaned the IACV and replaced the PCV valve...didn't do anything though. I adjusted the idle screw to allow more air into the engine at idle and it helps but I knew it was just a band aid fix.
Finally checked the alternator and it only put out 12 volts at idle and around 13 at mid/high rpm with no AC, no defroster, no radio, no nothin'. It explains the engine dying because the battery was just being drained over the past day. So we buy an alternator at Autozone and go to replace it tonight. Not a difficult job. Everything going great UNTIL::eek:
what.... - Imgur

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT... Someone seriously tensioned the alternator by loosening a bolt on a part of the engine???? Who the heck would do that? The correct tensioner setup is still there, however the bolt is missing. You can even see fluid seeping out of it. While I was under there I noticed the oil drain bolt head was partially stripped and the crush washer was never replaced. Oil was dripping out of it! There are bolts missing all over the air box mounts too. Out of the 6 required there are only 3!

Tomorrow I'm taking a trip to Honda or a hardware store and really hoping they have what I need..... Someone was really trying to do a choppy job on this car. I have quite a project on my hands.

Any comments or questions are welcomed :)

jirobinson13 11-07-2011 03:09 PM

Update:
Fixed the alternator. 35 cents at local hardware store later and:

fixed - Imgur

WellFedHobo 11-08-2011 04:52 PM

Those bolts do occasionally just fall out. Someone did a band-aid job of fixing it for sure. Glad you were able to make it right.