HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   What mounts should I go with? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/what-mounts-should-i-go-93273/)

Xevic 05-19-2012 08:47 AM

What mounts should I go with?

Hey Guys!

My stock engine mount is gone. To the point that The car feels like is going over a bump every time I shift from shift at low speeds. I want to replace all of them. CVcrcr got Drop Engeniering moutns which looks very cool and he had a good experience (from my understanding ). I was looking also into AVID, Hasports(overpriced IMO) and innovative. Im on a EK and a D, looking forward for a B (supposedly mounts for B & D are the same on EKs.

What have been your experience? How long do they have last to you? How much vibrations does they transfer into the chassis? Any other thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance.!

Shandles 05-19-2012 02:31 PM

ever consider energy suspension urethane bushing kit? i need new mounts too, but I'm on a strict budget and I think thats the route I'm gonna go...

Xevic 05-19-2012 07:35 PM

I just picked up the avid racing kit for 280. I once for a little bit considered that but rapidly crossed my mind, but how I'm gonna get those in? Then I was like Next! Avid has another mounts kit for 200 at my local performance shop. The bushings are the same but the material is a forged iron or something like that. They were black look nice welded similar to the drop engineering ones (which they told me were garbage and they wouldn't even sell them), I felt them a bit sturdier but way heavier. I just want with the aluminum ones. Hopefully I install mines tomorrow. Any idea on how to get the rear mount without dropping the engine?

Hope my little review helps.

cvcrcr99 05-19-2012 08:34 PM

IMO, half the people who sell car parts at these shop know nothing. Out of the people who know what they are doing, 50% of them have zero direct experience with the product they are promoting, or bashing. Ask me how I know.....

I am sure Avid will be fine, I was going to suggest either Drop or Hasport as I have had positive experiences with both. Drop's warranty is nice, too.

Some vendors can't sell certain manufacturers parts for whatever reason, either the profit margin isn't high enough, or it could be something like a distribution issue. They will say anything to make you think that they are your "buddy", so you will become a repeat customer.

If Avid has a higher profit margin than Drop or Hasport, then they will try to push those of course.

To sum it up, don't believe everything that you hear. I had Drop mounts and loved them. I have hasport mounts and love them, too. My innovatives were junk.

Anyways, I think DROP has an install guide floating around on how to install without dropping the motor... wait... Avids didn't come with an install guide? hmmmm Maybe the shop sold them for that reason so they can rope you in to pay them for the install??

I might be paranoid, but companies only conduct business to make money. It is a simple fact of life.

EDIT - Moved the thread since this is not a mechanical or tech problem.

Xevic 05-20-2012 09:03 PM

You have a point the cvcr. I went with I didn't ask them to suggest me what mount I wanted avid since they were cheaper. They seems very knowledgeable at the store I go. I have gone to other store where the customer service is garbage and they are not afraid to say "I don't know" to your question Lol. You still have a point. I guess in this car modding the best is do your research and try it on your own. I my avids came with and installation guide but I didn't even read them properly/completely, the instructions from what I got suggested to drop the engine and I was not really in the mood for that. Took me all day to install them (yea I know I'm slow when it comes to this). I like drop engineering I guess they look fancy and you had a good experience. I wanted to ask you how much vibration did your DE transferred to the chassis? I do like a lot how responsive the engine and the tranny has become, however the vibration sucks I feel I'm a female vibrator when inside the car, and my idling is garbage since I have to finish swapping the intake Manifold so that doesn't help.

Anyways to minimize the vibrations?

Turtlegrip 05-21-2012 01:59 AM

strip the interior and add dynomat to everything or getting slightly softer mounts. My friends 1.8 GTI vibrates to crazy it is almost unbearable to sit in the car idling, no, it is unbearable haha. This is something I am worried about when I swap...

cvcrcr99 05-21-2012 05:56 AM

Vibrations were fine. I had my torque mounts filled with window weld. I felt that in the steering wheel more than anything.

Xevic 05-21-2012 01:14 PM

The torque mounts would be the ones that goes from the chassis to the front of the engine and the transmission? The one that looks like longs sticks?

If they are, I have one broken. I believe is the engine side. What should I do? Should I get one and fill it with window weld? Or should I fill the broken one anyways?

But wait.. If I fill them with window weld, am I going to have more vibration of what I already have? Should I ride without those mounts?

cvcrcr99 05-21-2012 01:58 PM

You will have more vibrations from a stiffer set-up yes. Not much though. That rear mount transfers most of the vibrations into the cabin though.

Find my DIY Guide in the appropriate section. You should have a total of 5 mounts: One driver side engine mount, one pass. side transmission mount, one rear torque mount, one lower pass side torque mount, and one lower driver side torque mount. The ES inserts goes into the 3 torque mounts. You can either buy that set and toss the rear mount one out since you have an avid mount there now, follow my guide for lifetime mounts (ran them for years and no signs of aging at all), or simly buy OEM replacements. My guide shows how to remove and fill the lower torque mounts.

My brother needed new ones and thought to just remove them before his inspection.. Apparently in PA they need to be there, we dug them out of the trash, filled them up and re-installed.

cvcrcr99 05-22-2012 09:01 AM

WTF is an oil filter pulley? Also, I seriously doubt wires will be strained from rocking back and forth a little unless there is a wire that is hanging on by a thread already. Assuming he has a Civic, since is on a Civic forum posting about it. He also said "Im on a EK and a D, looking forward for a B"... that means 96-00 Civic with the stock motor, looking to upgrade. So yes, he did tell us what car he has.