HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   What is the sound I'm getting when I brake at a stop? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/what-sound-im-getting-when-i-brake-stop-42250/)

Obligatory 04-14-2007 12:45 PM

What is the sound I'm getting when I brake at a stop?

-it usually happens when im holding the brake without moving for a couple minutes (like at a drive thru or in slow moving traffic).
-its a repetitive sound (its not random).
-it fades in and out at times but can go for awhile if I don't move or let off the brake
-its relatively loud and I can hear it when windows are closed
-there are no noticeable problems with braking (or driving the car for that matter)
-it does it when im in drive,park, or neutral holding the brake down
-my parking brake is not pulled up, so don't ask :P
-although it mainly happens when im not moving, I sometimes hear it when I'm slowly going into a stop or coming out of one (like pulling up a few feet in traffic)

I don't know much about car insides, but to me it sounds like some kind of belt rubbing and causing the noise.
I am going to get someone to hold the brake for me so I can pop the hood and take a look...I'll possibly get a sound clip too if that would help anyone diagnose it :)

any help is greatly appreciated!! I hope its nothing major!

ScoobyAddict14 04-14-2007 03:17 PM

RE: What is the sound I'm getting when I brake at a stop?

is it a grinding noise?

Obligatory 04-14-2007 03:45 PM

no, I wouldn't say grinding...
you know what? this is too hard to explain.

I'm going to get video/sound asap

BillyB98 04-14-2007 03:51 PM

I think i know what your talking about cuz mine has the same problem. I had a mechanic look at it and he said its a bracket on the alternator that came loose. He tightened it and it stopped but then it came back like a week later and it wont stop.

Obligatory 04-14-2007 04:03 PM

alright, I took it for a spin to get it going.

it's definitely a rattling noise (as if something is loose).
i could never get it to do it when my hood was up so I closed my hood extra hard (im thinking it could have been the hood rattling!)

im just going to have to drive it a bit and see what happens.

Billy...is the alternator easy to tighten or does it require a mechanic, and/or removing of parts?

BillyB98 04-14-2007 04:09 PM

Im not sure one of my dads good friends took a look at it for me and fixed it in like 5 minutes while i was gone so im guessing its pretty easy.

Obligatory 04-14-2007 11:12 PM

alright, I learned a few things when I was out tonight
I've pretty much ruled out the hood rattling as a possibility since I slammed it shut and the noise came right back.

I managed to record a sound clip but my phone made it into some weird codec.
I'll mess with it tomorrow.

Ashtrey634 04-14-2007 11:25 PM

is it cold near you? when its cold i hear my hood rattling against something. idk what but it wont go away no matter how hard i close the hood. but when its warm or hot out. i hear nothing. i would hear it the same times as u.

Obligatory 04-14-2007 11:52 PM

hmmm an interesting conderation....

we do have a cold front this weekend, i guess that could be it, although it seems odd