HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   what to swap and boost? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/what-swap-boost-6776/)

smokingemcee 06-25-2005 02:50 PM

what to swap and boost?

Ok, I want to do an engine swap in the near future and I have not decided which to do yet. I have a 95 si hb. I really would like to boost whatever I get. I what would be the best way to go thats not insanley expensive and would be a strong and dependable engine? I was thinking b16a2, but I heard they can blow easy if you boost em? Or how about a b18 (ls) and boost that?

Nail I3unny 06-25-2005 08:52 PM

RE: what to swap and boost?

the b16a2 is one of the best engines honda makes in the way of boosting. its about 10.4:1 compression (ideal for boosting if done right) and has a redline at 8,200. the b18 has a higher compression ratio and around the same redline (200 less) but can net up to 230 hp when boosted correctly. a great idea (if you have the money) is to get a b18 and put a b16 head on it (to lower compression) and boost that.

another option you could look into is try to get your hands on a working b18c (found in the 97-00 ITR). it will easily tear up the quarter in less than 15 seconds (naturally aspirated). its a larger engine than the b16b (yeah...not a) a little lower compression and the same redline (8000). great for boosting too...but theyre hard as hell to find and youll be payin out the ass for one.

do some more research because im posotive i didnt hit everything...and make your decision

sacicons 06-26-2005 04:25 PM

RE: what to swap and boost?

whoa whoa whoa.

b16a2- jdm is 10.4, but usdm is 10.2.
b18b(ls)-9.2
b18c(1)-10.0(US) 10.6(JDM)
b18c(5)-10.6(US) 11.0(JDM)

so if you just want a quick car with a turbo, an ls is a good way to go. its cheaper and (if youre careful) safer than a higher compression motor. the problem is, that until the turbo gets spooled, youre basically running all-motor with a REALLY restrictive header. so having a lower compression motor with a turbo means that low-end response wont be very good. although, since the B16 has such a small displacement, and a high redline, turbo sizing is tricky. too big, and it wont spool fast because theres no low-end power. too small, and it cant feed the hyperkinetic 8200rpm cfm requirements, so you lose a lot on the top end. the best is probably a b18c(us spec) with a type r head, and a stock b16 or gsr intake cam. it will bring the CR down to 9.7:1. kind of low, but it still has enough displacement to allow for a slightly larger turbo to feed the top-end power. and at that slightly low CR, you can run a fair amount of boost.

that said, as long as its done right, any of these will be a blast to drive, and you wont really be disappointed. Have Fun!