HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Whats the most power i could get outta this? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/whats-most-power-i-could-get-outta-41000/)

96civichb 03-27-2007 02:35 PM

Whats the most power i could get outta this?

Realistically, whats the most power i could get out of a D16Y7?

With Turbo?

Without?

~thanks

MY99SI 03-27-2007 02:39 PM

RE: Whats the most power i could get outta this?

im not sure what your asking but it can have potential.

my friend has a pristine blue hatch

d16y8
forged internals
custom spec GT series turbo
880cc inj.
s300

he's got more but thats all i can think of off hand
it put down alot of power.. more than enough to smoke a stage 2 clutch when the car starts coming onto boost

any car has alot of potential to be fast it all depends on how much money you want to spend

BillyB98 03-27-2007 07:15 PM

well i actually had the same questions and have been researching it for a while. The first thing i came across was a mini me swap where you can swap either a d16y8 or d16z6 head onto your car along with other things (there is a DIY on this) to get vtec and the intake manifolds both flow better than your y7 mani. You could do that as the d series blocks are pretty much identical and add a good chunk of horsepower by changing those over. I am actually going to do that or just by an entire z6engine and swap it. You could then build up the bottom end with eagle rods and pistons for whatever it is you want to do (turbo, n/a). I also found an akmee valvetrain kit which I am buying in the very near future so check out akmee.com. You could do that and turbo to whatever your goals are. If you plan to turbo ive heard from numerous people that the D16Y engines have oiling problems so i would suggest a d16z6 for the mini me or entire swap.

Hope that helps a little bit

mey_ming 04-12-2007 04:46 PM

with turbo.. is fast...!!!

sbowers 04-12-2007 09:31 PM

money is the only limit to power.

Remmy 04-12-2007 10:27 PM

You could probably put down close to what a Y8 pumps out in reality. I mean just because the Y8 has vtec doesnt really mean skittles

johnny 04-13-2007 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: BillyB98

well i actually had the same questions and have been researching it for a while. The first thing i came across was a mini me swap where you can swap either a d16y8 or d16z6 head onto your car along with other things (there is a DIY on this) to get vtec and the intake manifolds both flow better than your y7 mani. You could do that as the d series blocks are pretty much identical and add a good chunk of horsepower by changing those over. I am actually going to do that or just by an entire z6engine and swap it. You could then build up the bottom end with eagle rods and pistons for whatever it is you want to do (turbo, n/a). I also found an akmee valvetrain kit which I am buying in the very near future so check out akmee.com. You could do that and turbo to whatever your goals are. If you plan to turbo ive heard from numerous people that the D16Y engines have oiling problems so i would suggest a d16z6 for the mini me or entire swap.

Hope that helps a little bit
Good info, Although the D16z6 has oil pump issues minor mods will fix this problem. Theres a main reason im going to say D16Z6. When boosted you need to chip your ECU. You cannot chip a OBD2 ECU. A D16y8 is in fact a OBD2 ecu. If your going to boost your car, go D16Z6. Oh and Billy you been reading Sov's build? haha and if you wanna know the numbers, A member on HCF Boosted his D16y8 (i think thats what it was) and acheived 210 whp and 167 lbs of tq. That was with a T3/T4 turbo.

the_turtle 04-13-2007 11:26 AM

i heard that a y8 pump will fix the oiling problem? maybe not, but as with any engine, the more you mod on it, the more problems your going to run into, i dont care what engine it is...be it 454BB or k20a, SR20DET, or RB26DETT, 2JZ, it doesnt matter. but like most every one else said "money is the limit to power"

riceburner700 04-13-2007 12:08 PM

the d16y7 is an good motor to boost because it doesnt have vtec which is over rated when you talk about boost. now n/a yeah its great.

but some money in like pistons/rods/ different intake manifold/ z6 oil pump and a y8 tranny and like 300whp and that will be enough to break the tires loose and throw you back in the seat

johnny 04-13-2007 03:25 PM

ORIGINAL: riceburner700

but some money in like pistons/rods/ different intake manifold/ z6 oil pump and a y8 tranny and like 300whp and that will be enough to break the tires loose and throw you back in the seat

Yee, Even 250 is enough to spank some V8's