HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Where do i begin? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/where-do-i-begin-40879/)

Emt645 03-25-2007 08:52 PM

Where do i begin?

Heyjust joined and not sure how all this **** works but yea. just bought an 04 civic Ex and not to sure where to begin with beefin it up. just got a system for it but lookin at juicin up the engine.. any types and ideas would be awsome

BillyB98 03-25-2007 09:15 PM

RE: Where do i begin?

how much money you looking to spend and what are your goals?

reaper2022 03-25-2007 10:25 PM

I/H/E (Intake/Header/Exhaust) = Easiest, quickest, cheapest horsepower gains

Intake: There honestly isn't much of a difference between short-ram and cold-air systems. Short-Rams are cheaper, offer slightly better throttle response (due to the shorter tubing), and slightly less horsepower than a Cold Air Intake. CAI's, on the other hand, are more expensive, have slightly worse (though not noticeably) throttle response (due to longer tubing), and offer slightly higher horsepower gains (not enough to matter, though). As far as brands, AEM, Injen, and Fujita are all decent brands. Personally, as far as I'm concerned, the tube's just atube, and the filter's all that matters.

Header: Unless you're willing to spend $700+, all headers will offer approximately the same horsepower gains. 4-1 headers offer better top-end power, and 4-2-1 headers have better low and mid-range power. As far as brands, it really doesn't matter, but the big three seem to be: DC (approx $300+), Hedmen (approx $160), and Megan Racing (approx $160).

Exhaust: You'll want a cat-back exhaust, for sure. Adding just a muffler does nothing, and adding an axle-back is pointless, IMO (since the exhaust is already compressed in the midpipe). You really have two routes you can go with on the exhaust. One: you can buy a cat-back from the internet, a shop, etc. Brand preferences seem to be RS*R and Greddy. The other option is to buy a muffler (and a resonator), and take your car to a muffler shop to have a custom system installed. For the most part, custom exhausts will be a fraction of the price of a pre-made cat-back system. However, there's always the risk of your welds rusting on a custom system. For the most part, Naturally Aspirated cars see peak gains around 2 1/4" tubing, and forced-induction cars need bigger tubing (2.5"+)

baja74vw 03-26-2007 09:11 PM

Like the Reaper said, I would aim at bolt-on first! Let the engine breath. Intake and exhaust.

It is all in what you want to spend. The sky is the limit!

Tim

easy101 03-27-2007 12:01 PM

I used to have a 7th gen civic....the bolt ons provide very minimal gains compared to earlier gen civics...I personally wouldnt waste my money on the intake and header unless you're wanting to stay n/a and/or use only nitrous...if you're planning on boosting it, just save your money for the turbo parts.

BillyB98 03-27-2007 12:19 PM

^im with him

Emt645 03-31-2007 11:16 AM

Im parted between the idea of bolt ons on just getting anew engine ive got the stock 4 cylender engine n its got **** for power in it money maybe around 1000 to 1500 for starters

aim2luv 03-31-2007 11:53 AM

http://www.costlessitems.com/parts/o...roducts_id=617

easy101 04-02-2007 02:28 PM

The only engine you can swap into it is a k series motor and you should prepare youself by doing more research because once you do, you'll see that doing a swap on a 7th gen is not as easy asthe swaps areon a earlier gen civics. Honestly though, your best bet is boosting the D17. It will be cheaper than the swap and you'll get more power that way unless you're planning on boosting the K series after the swap.