HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   whinning belt?? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/whinning-belt-40549/)

k20si 03-21-2007 12:04 AM

whinning belt??

hi everyone new to site :)
i recently replaced the serp. belt on my 03 si, and ever since i did it makes a whine kinda like a supercharger..... this is kinda a bad thing cause now every single person i am next thinks i am trying to race them (i even had a pissed off dad try to race me in his mini van) so my question is, what is causing this noise? the car has just over 70k on it, but the previous owner took exceptional care with it, i have all his service records to boot. i dont think its a pully because after taking it off again and spinning free pullies none made a noise. the noise has however gotten less and less, my thoughts are since the old belt was so old and brittle, it put less tension on the pullies, and after putting the new one on it put more pressure on it. there is a little meter thing on the tensioner pulley thst has an arrow on one side and a box on the other. i have read the the arrow needs to be in the center. with the old belt it was more towards the front of the car in the outside of the box....with the new one its dead center. what is your thoughts on this one? any help is appreciated. also i installed a injen short ram intake for the car and ever since i put it on the car seems slower...might be in my head considering my friend rode in it and said i was looking for faults ha ha . everything was installed correctly although the rubber gromet that is for the MAF sensor never came with it(theres e-bay for ya ;) so i riggd one from an ol spark plug boot, the probe at the end sticks out perfectly, and has no air leaks. the breather tube from the valve cover is connected correctly although to me looks semi-pinched. is this a problem? im sure its all in my head, its just easy to point out problems when your making a car paymeny haha. and if its not to much one last thing i am hearing is a creaking noise that seems to reer its head at me under take off (esspecially on hills) when i go to take off the front of the car creaks, and creaks again when shifting into second gear. the noise seems to be the loudest when its cold outside, but still present when its warm. i took the car to honda, they thought it was my srtuts so had them replaced...didnt fix it, so i fgured it was the poly bushings from the sway bar (had a similar sound come from my mustang) so they greased the bushings up with white litium grease front and rear....still makes the noise....then they thought it was a broken motor mount frivers side....replaced...still has a noise....of all the problems(or lack there of) this car has this one really pisses me off cause i feel like i am driving a pos that creaks. has anyone else had this problem with there cars? if so please let me know what it is sos i can take of it...sorry for the looooooong post, just figured if anyone would know you guys would thanks :)

**Alan** 03-21-2007 12:38 AM

RE: whinning belt??

daaaammmnnn that a really long post lol but the only thing i know 4 the whining of ur belt .....is sum lotion thing u put on the belt .....i saw sum ladie in front of autozone use it and the seemed to fix her problem ...but i dunno ...i hope this helps

k20si 03-21-2007 08:20 AM

i think you are talking about belt dressing but unfortunelty, that only works real well for v-belt type belts, thank you for you help tho :)

addiction2bass 03-21-2007 09:10 AM

well did you instal the air intake same time? if so thats where your geting your extra supercharger sound ;)

and with the creeking issue... tuff call... but just replacing things is always a expensive way to hopefully find it!

i would bust out a can of WD 40 and start spraying certain areas....... remember what ya spray down and go test it out..... if it didnt work... go try again on a different area..... for the motor mount just get soemone in the car or get under the motor and check out the motor when ya rev it up.. see if it moves...

but i dont know why your ride woulda felt slower with the intake.... might just be in your head..... what kinda filter is it runnen?
my intake didnt seem to help much if any BUT sounds alot cooler.LOL

FlipHKD720 03-21-2007 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass
i would bust out a can of WD 40 and start spraying certain areas....... remember what ya spray down and go test it out..... if it didnt work... go try again on a different area..... for the motor mount just get soemone in the car or get under the motor and check out the motor when ya rev it up.. see if it moves...

+1

Street Sniper 03-21-2007 02:48 PM

Squeaks and creaks are a part of life. It's probably just grommet to metal contact. Chassis stiffeningmay help that.

The whining might be your p/s pump. Is it low on fluid?

k20si 03-21-2007 07:04 PM

well on the 03 si's they went to electronic steering so no fluid is requried there.....trust me i thought the same thing ha ha..... as far as the filter goes i believe it is a greddy paired with the injen piping. after driving it today the whine i am hearing is almost non exsistant only when i really punch it so now it sounds like a turbo spooling up(which is bad ass) after coming home i pulled that piece of hose connected to the valve cover and trimmed it down a smidge, and it seems to actually run a lot better. i think it was caused by the heat of the motor expanding the hose and made it harder for the car to breath or someting cause i nailed it and got to 85 in third gear which before seemed to have trouble gettin to, and also seems a hell of a lot more responsive off the line. i do know that the guy before me had the new 07 si k20's lighter pistons added to the motor from carz customs as well as larger cams....not sure what from, but when i took it down there to get a dyno run they pulled the vin and said the guy (kieth gunner) had brought that car in before and had a lot of engine work done to it. my second pull on the dyno the car ran richer which gave me a solid 187 hp @6400 and 154 lb feet of torque @ 5700....not bad for a car i didnt do sqwat to. any how as far as the stiffening of the car goes i have already purcahes a front mount strut bar(not a huge fan of the rear one) so well see if that does anything at all. by the way thanks for all your replies i definelty appreciate it :/

addiction2bass 03-21-2007 07:22 PM

only a extra 20-25hp from stock.......

k20si 03-21-2007 07:46 PM

yeah but still cant beat it for buyin it at a steal at a local dealer :)

xramseyx 03-21-2007 09:30 PM

Comet or some AJAX on those belts could help. Some kind of kitchen cleaner thats the powder stuff belt dressing is no good.