Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

won't start

Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Default won't start

Hello I was wondering if anywone would have an idea why my 1994 honda won't start
ok, so i drive a 1994 Honda Civic CX , there is 280,000km on it
last month i had the timing belt replaced as well as my ball joints
the timing belt didn't go but i replaced it in case it was to go,
last week my car wouldn't start, i needed a new battery as i was still using the orignal, after the timing belt was replacing i started hearing a high pitch squeal when i started the car amd when i came to a stop.
I drove the car all weekend long, with no trouble starting and the squealing became worse
yesterday however there was no squealing at all, and this moring, my car wouldn't start. I was allow me to turn the key and i could hear trying to start but just wouldn't go. the battery is not dead becuase the lights work.
i called the mechanic and he said it is probablt the alternator? does this sounds right to anyone? does anyone know much they are?????

Old 11-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Default RE: won't start

The squealing is almost always the sign of a loose alternator belt. I would check all the main fuses. Having a loose alternator belt causes the alternator to spin at weird intervals, and can sometimes cause a short or surge, which may or may not have blown one of the main fuses, so that's where I'd start. Also, check the belt, because if the squealing stopped all of a sudden, it might have broken or popped off the pulley. But the alternator wouldn't be causing the starting problem, since it only does anything after the car is on. It would be the battery's fault, but since you say all the lights work normally (right? They're not dimmer than usual?), we can rule that out.