HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   Y7-Z6 mini me???? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/y7-z6-mini-me-72863/)

bullridingndn 01-16-2009 12:51 AM

Y7-Z6 mini me????

I have a 99 4 door civic dx, d16y7.... I currently ran across a guy with a z6 head, ecu and tranny... My questions are....

1. Will it work for my car, i read somewhere that it dont but i just wanna clarify things before i get it?

2. Z6 ecu Obd1, Y7 OBD2 correct? So i will need a piggy back?

3. Will my y7 header and intake bolt up to the z6 head?

4. The z6 tranny works in all chassis but the ef, correct? Mines an ej6 chassis, so it should bolt right in?

5. What else will i need to do the two swaps?

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance....

WellFedHobo 01-16-2009 02:55 AM

1. Yes, but you'll need to do a few things like run wires for the vtec solenoid because you aren't changing engine harnesses.

2. There is an OBD1 to OBD2 conversion harness that you can buy online.

3. Sure it'll bolt up, but I think you'll get a CEL because the y7 has the catalytic converter built into the header and the z6 has it under the car and the o2 sensors are in different places or something. I forget. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. Been awhile since I had a z6.

4. Any d-series tranny will bolt on to another d-series engine as far as I know.

5. uh... are both trannies auto or manual? If you're swapping from one to another, it requires some work.

bullridingndn 01-16-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by itinerant (Post 616749)

3. Sure it'll bolt up, but I think you'll get a CEL because the y7 has the catalytic converter built into the header and the z6 has it under the car and the o2 sensors are in different places or something. I forget. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong. Been awhile since I had a z6.

4. Any d-series tranny will bolt on to another d-series engine as far as I know.

5. uh... are both trannies auto or manual? If you're swapping from one to another, it requires some work.

3. Obd1 only runs one o2 sensor, obd2 runs 2 i believe... With the header i have it only takes one o2 sensor so thats why i was leanin towards the obd1 conversion... So the y7 INTAKE will bolt up to the z6 head?

4. This i know, i was askin if it'll bolt up to my chassis????

5. Y7 manual to z6 manual... So if ima get a new clutch n flywheel which tranny do i get it for? Are does it even matter?

Thanks again....

trustdestruction 01-16-2009 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by bullridingndn (Post 616748)
I have a 99 4 door civic dx, d16y7.... I currently ran across a guy with a z6 head, ecu and tranny... My questions are....

1. Will it work for my car, i read somewhere that it dont but i just wanna clarify things before i get it?

2. Z6 ecu Obd1, Y7 OBD2 correct? So i will need a piggy back?

3. Will my y7 header and intake bolt up to the z6 head?

4. The z6 tranny works in all chassis but the ef, correct? Mines an ej6 chassis, so it should bolt right in?

5. What else will i need to do the two swaps?

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance....

1. It'll bolt right on.

2. convert to OBD1. phearable.net sells ECU conversion harnesses. get a P28 ECU (D16Z6) and get the one that corresponds to your transmission (auto or manual). After reading again it seems you already have the ECU for it, which is good. You just need a conversion harness.

3. yes, you just have to run your own VTEC wires. There is a DIY in our DIY section on the forum.

4. direct bolt in, yes

5. D16Z6 timing belt, D16Z6 distributor, D16Z6 spark plug wires, D16Z6 spark plugs (NGK V-Power), D16Y8 head gasket (made of metal). I'd also replace the timing belt tensioner and water pump while you have it all apart.

You don't need to relocate the second O2 sensor, as the OBD1 ECU doesn't even know it's there and it doesn't care. Set the second O2 sensor aside if you're gonna use an aftermarket header. If you're reusing the stock Y7 exhaust manifold/header, just leave the second O2 sensor hooked up and plugged in, or get a plug to plug the second O2 sensor bung (I have one for sale in my for sale thread for $1) and take the second O2 sensor out of the car.
Y7 Intake manifold will bolt up also.

bullridingndn 01-16-2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 616833)

5. D16Z6 timing belt, D16Z6 distributor, D16Z6 spark plug wires, D16Z6 spark plugs (NGK V-Power), D16Y8 head gasket (made of metal). I'd also replace the timing belt tensioner and water pump while you have it all apart.

You don't need to relocate the second O2 sensor, as the OBD1 ECU doesn't even know it's there and it doesn't care. Set the second O2 sensor aside if you're gonna use an aftermarket header. If you're reusing the stock Y7 exhaust manifold/header, just leave the second O2 sensor hooked up and plugged in, or get a plug to plug the second O2 sensor bung (I have one for sale in my for sale thread for $1) and take the second O2 sensor out of the car.
Y7 Intake manifold will bolt up also.

5. The y7 distributor and timing belt wont work?

I've recently rebuilt my whole y7 like everythings brand new... Msd distributor, external coil, y7 timing belt, tensioner all that, vitara piostons...

1.are you tellin me it wont swap over? I hope that aint so, what about the cam gear...

2.Can i use the y7 cam gear so i dont have to change the timin belt?

3.Why wont the y7 timin belt work? is it longer, shorter different teeth?

Well the header i currently have only uses one o2 sensor i had to lose the second one allready... Thats why i wanna go obd1....

Thanks for the info...

trustdestruction 01-16-2009 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bullridingndn (Post 616838)
5. The y7 distributor and timing belt wont work?

I've recently rebuilt my whole y7 like everythings brand new... Msd distributor, external coil, y7 timing belt, tensioner all that, vitara piostons...

1.are you tellin me it wont swap over? I hope that aint so, what about the cam gear...

2.Can i use the y7 cam gear so i dont have to change the timin belt?

3.Why wont the y7 timin belt work? is it longer, shorter different teeth?

Well the header i currently have only uses one o2 sensor i had to lose the second one allready... Thats why i wanna go obd1....

Thanks for the info...

you can use the MSD distributor cap and external coil, but you have to use it on the D16Z6 distributor

if you use the Y7 cam gear yeah you can use the Y7 timing belt. The reason it wouldn't work with the Z6 cam gear is because the Y7 timing belt has more teeth. Y7 cam gear and timing belt should work just fine, but you may have problems getting the head to TDC because the marks on the Y7 cam gear probably won't work on the D16Z6 head.

bullridingndn 01-16-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 616844)
Y7 cam gear and timing belt should work just fine, but you may have problems getting the head to TDC because the marks on the Y7 cam gear probably won't work on the D16Z6 head.

So will i be better off gettin an adjustable cam gear for this reason?

Thanks for all the help also...

trustdestruction 01-16-2009 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by bullridingndn (Post 616870)
So will i be better off gettin an adjustable cam gear for this reason?

Thanks for all the help also...

i would just spend the 40 dollars on a d16z6 timing belt instead and use the d16z6 cam gear

bullridingndn 01-16-2009 10:30 PM

I see, ill do that then thanks again for all the help....