HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Internal (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/)
-   -   ZC rods and pistons in a D16 (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/engine-internal-11/zc-rods-pistons-d16-6103/)

WillVTEC 06-05-2005 02:39 PM

ZC rods and pistons in a D16

Hi guys, I've heard that you can put Acura Integra ZC rods and pistons to your D16Z6, I'm thinking of doing that, but I would like to know if any of guys have done it and if the high compression is a big issue meaning that engine will knock due to the high compression and had to retard the timing or any comments will be appreciate it, thanks

hondabboy 06-05-2005 03:22 PM

RE: ZC rods and pistons in a D16

yes indeed it is possible because the zc motor is a d-series motor it jsut has a dohc head. ummm i know if you put domed pistons they well give you more compression which is good for all motor use. but why wont you just use the zc block and put the z6 head on it??? its alot easier and well save you more time on the swap. oh yeh another thing you dont have to use zc piston try si piston form a d16a6 for safer purposes. anyways good looking out with the d-series motor hope everything goes all good.

PhilStubbs 06-05-2005 05:57 PM

1st off. the 1st gen integra isnt a ZC. it is very similare but its not the same. you could put the z6 head on the a1 block, but you dont want to go through all the trouble and no offense but with the questions you are asking you wouldnt be able to do it alone. if i remember right, those pistons in the z6 will put your compression around 10:1 but dont hold me to that cause it has been a really long time since i have looked into it. i also know that 86-87 rods and pistons are slightly different than 88-89. you have to take the rods and pistons from different years to have the strongest rods with the highest compression but i cant remember which is which. a short search on yahoo will show you all the info though. hope that helps

WillVTEC 06-05-2005 09:17 PM

Thanks guys for the info

I think its easier for me to put rods and pistons in my block, that way I dont have to pull my block out, since I dont have the tools to do that.

PhilStubbs 06-05-2005 11:19 PM

i wouldnt recommend honing your cylinders with the crank in and you wont be able to take the crank out w/o taking you block out. you dont need much for tools and you can rent an engine hoist form autozone

WillVTEC 06-06-2005 05:14 PM

As fas as I know the ZC is 1.6 DOHC non-vtec and you dont need to hone or bored the block out. Thats what I 've heard.

PhilStubbs 06-06-2005 07:34 PM

anytime you put new rings in an engine you have to hone the cylinders or the new rings wont seat

Kappa22 06-11-2005 12:34 AM

Actually, you don't.

Many people choose to have the cylinders honed whenever they rebuild the bottom end, but it is not necessary, especially if you're going OEM.

When you put new rings in, you need to give your engine a break-in period, where you drive it abnormally (lots of up- and downshifting, no cruising, easy on the acceleration) for about 1,500-2,000 miles. THAT is what seats the rings into the cylinders, and prevents premature ring failure, burning oil, crankcase pressure, etc... all the good things that come with bad rings. !!You DO need to make sure you tap-mark the pistons, rods, and caps so that they go back into the same cylinder they came out of!!

PhilStubbs 06-11-2005 07:53 AM

i have never heard of anyone putting new rings in w/o honing the cylinders. i dont know everything, but what i have always heard is that the cross hatching marks from honing the cylinders is what shapes the rings. i wouldnt think a really smooth cylinder wouldnt shape the rings. if i am wrong i would like to know, but i need more than "thats how it is" to believe it

sacicons 06-11-2005 10:48 AM

thats very true with american cars, and a lot of older cars, but on more modern japanese cars, the crosshatching isnt really necessary. though an old school machinist would have a fit if he saw someone putting it together with smooth walls.