General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

93 Del Sol, need help IDing engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Default 93 Del Sol, need help IDing engine

I have a 1993 Del Sol (actually, my wife does-I'm too tall to drive it without the roof off). It has recently had a series of problems fixed, and we seem to be in the home stretch, to getting it back up and going.
the last problem though, is another biggie. The ECU/ECM/PCU, has been diagnosed as being bad. It's not sending the signal to turn on the fuel pump. We've been through multiple fuel pump relays, and now it simply won't even start, with the last 3 brand new relays. It went to a transmission shop to have the auto trans replaced, but now, he can't start it, to test drive it, and he decided it needs the ECM. He believes this has been the root problem, since the beginning, with the fuel delivery issues that it had.
Now, in looking to buy a new computer, they want to know if it is VTEC or not. I'm not a Honda guy. I have no clue. Give me an FE block Ford, and I can help you figure things out, but am lost on most metrics, either way.
We are the 4th or 5th owners of the car, so don't know what may have been done in changing an engine at some point. The Dealer locally, says that according to the VIN, it should be VTEC, but they don't sound confident.
VIN is JHMEH6263PS016516, if that helps any.
Obviously, I want to make sure to get the right ECM for it, as I do not want to go through a bunch of exchanges to get the right one. And the Transmission guy would like to get it out of his lot.
How do I know VTEC from not VTEC? I've watched a couple of videos, and they mention a solenoid. I circled one in yellow, in one photo, that looks like what they mentioned, but it's not in the same location.
I figure all y'all Honda folks would be my best resource.
Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Thumbnails 93 Del Sol, need help IDing engine-img_8250.jpg   93 Del Sol, need help IDing engine-img_8248.jpg   93 Del Sol, need help IDing engine-img_8253.jpg   93 Del Sol, need help IDing engine-img_8256.jpg