General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

92 civic cx A/C?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:01 PM
HCF Member
Default 92 civic cx A/C?

I have a 92 civic cx. When I got it, it didn’t have an A/C system but I thought some one had just taken it out to get better mpg or something. But now I think it never had one to begin with. Is that possible? (To not have an A/C system stock). If so, is it a lot of work to put an A/C system in.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM
gwl
HCF Member

It was an option at the time, I think only the EX's had them. The others model were installed by the dealer using either a Honda or an aftermarket one.

Finding a good use and affordable one with be hard to find.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have an A/C button on the control panel? All cars have it, but the factory covered it with a plastic plate if the rest of the system is not installed. Also if the A/C has been pulled out they probably left the evaporator box. Behind the battery, you may have an aluminum block coming through the firewall with two holes for the lines to connect to. If you just have a big oval blank rubber grommet there, the car probably never had A/C in the first place, or someone did a very complete job removing it.

Either way it's the same, the A/C is a bolt-on kit that is not a lot of work to put in. For some models, the kit is still available from dealers. Or find a parts car with the A/C intact and move the parts over to your car. I think anything from 1992 to 1995, all the parts will interchange. Used A/C parts that have been lying around with the ports open could have dirt and moisture inside. Be sure to use a NEW receiver-drier in any case.

A 1992 would have been designed for R-12, but it should also work well with R-134a as long as you use the proper type of oil.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, you also may be able to obtain the OEM A/C kit for a reasonable price here:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ev2890
I have a 92 civic cx. When I got it, it didn’t have an A/C system but I thought some one had just taken it out to get better mpg or something. But now I think it never had one to begin with. Is that possible? (To not have an A/C system stock). If so, is it a lot of work to put an A/C system in.
I think it might have been an option. There are generally a few problems that occur, such as with the water pump, that happen when you take out the A/C unit on a car that was equipped with it. So installing one might take a lot of work.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The A/C is bolted on last, after the car has been built. Typically it was done at the dealer, they would get all the cars without A/C and then put it on before selling the car. This was originally done for tax reasons so you could have a car made in Japan, but a certain percentage of its value was added in the USA.

Installing or removing the A/C has little effect on the rest of the car. The water pump is driven by the timing belt. The alternator and power steering also have their own belts. So when you take the A/C out you just remove the compressor belt and everything else stays the same.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM

i'm pretty sure that 92-95 CX's did not come with A/C. It was available as a dealer option when the car was originally purchased.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

what about the wiring to the compressor and condeser fan?

Old 10-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

There should be a plug just forward of the right front wheel well that doesn't go anywhere now. The A/C kit includes a harness that plugs in there and goes over to the compressor and condenser fan. Everything else on the car is pre-wired for A/C.

Search this Thread