General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

98 civic hx m/t toasted at 84,000?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Default 98 civic hx m/t toasted at 84,000?

I bought a used HX civic but the manual transmission has some bad bearings and needs to be replaced. just wondering if anyone knows about the longevity of these 98 HX manual transmissions. i really want to get the best gas mileage (HX) but don't want to get another HX m/t if its gonna go out under 100,000 miles. i have the option to get either a used LX or HX tranny (both around 50k). By the why, i don't race or rallie my ride i want MAX MPG. I have reason to believe the previous owner drag raced this ride and this could account for the bum tranny at only 84k.

Any suggestions???

Old 10-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It could have been run without oil too (is it full of oil now?). If the only problem is bearing noise, it is not too complicated to open up the transmission and replace the bearings without "rebuilding" the whole unit. This needs to be done before the bearings fall apart completely and cause the shafts to break.

It's also possible the car actually has a lot more miles than the 84,000 showing.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

it was probably driven very hard and never had its fluid changed in the trany....

just go ahead and have it rebuilt. since the tranny will be opened up to replace the bad bearings go ahead and have the syncros replaced as well.
one downfall about just buying a used tranny.... well you do not know the correct milage and well just think how pissed you would be to spend that money on a used one and have a problem.....

IMO best to spend the extra cash and have your tranny just rebuilt by a good shop and have a nice garente on it and KNOW ITS GONNA LAST ALONG TIME!!!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 07:45 PM
gwl
HCF Member

I have a 97 HX, I bought it brand new. I have 303,000 miles on it and had the transmission rebuilt around 240,000. It was making some noises for awhile(over year) so when I had my clutch replaced, I went ahead with the rebuild on the trans. I had the trans rebuilt by a very reputable place who guaranteed it for two years.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:25 AM

the 84K is verified by Carfax. yes the fluid has been changed and is full.

i took my car to the best import shop around and they said to get to the bearing they have to take the clutch out and then take the tranny apart. after that they would replace what was damaged, their quote was around $1600 which was mostly for labor. They recommended getting a used one and said it would be about $400 labor to put that in. So their not trying to rip me off and get the most $ out of it. Found a HX tranny (40k) for $350...so that might be the cheaper option.

hey gwl, how much did your rebuild cost? were the weird noises in every gear?

Last edited by freshseeker; 10-05-2008 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by freshseeker
...They recommended getting a used one and said it would be about $400 labor to put that in...Found a HX tranny (40k) for $350...
Replacing the clutch requires removal of the transmission, so you wouldn't have a separate $400 transmission installation charge if you also want the clutch replaced. 84k miles may be too early, however, for the clutch to be replaced.

Alternatively, if you have tools, work space, and a free weekend, you could save a lot of money by removing the transmission yourself and installing the replacement (see 96-98 manual at link in my signature).

Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 AM
gwl
HCF Member

I had noise in every gear especially in first gear, it sounded like it had a rod knock. The noise was very slight at first, but I drove it anyways as it got louder. There was an used HX trans available, but they wanted too much for it. I decided with a rebuild. I think it cost around 1600 with a full rebuild with a new clutch.

I just toss in bunch a money for a full engine rebuild, it wasn't smoking at all. I had a headgasket leak with some minor oil consumption. I couldn't justify only doing the head even though it ran great. Most people would have done a full engine/trans swapped. I liked keep my cars stock so hopefully I can go another 10 plus years on this Civic.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:02 AM

yea, i'll probably replace the clutch too, since the trannies out. 84k seems a bit early but judging from the abuse on the tranny i should do it, about another $200 for parts but no additional labor.

as far as doing it myself, sounds a little scary, i just don't trust myself enough to do it right...

gwl-303k and 10yrs more eh? that would nice. have you serviced or replaced anything else major? whats your avg MPG?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:41 PM
gwl
HCF Member

yea, i'll probably replace the clutch too, since the trannies out. 84k seems a bit early but judging from the abuse on the tranny i should do it, about another $200 for parts but no additional labor.

My first clutch replacement was at 240,000, it was slipping a lot. That is one of the reason why I went with the trans rebuild at the time.

gwl-303k and 10yrs more eh? that would nice. have you serviced or replaced anything else major? whats your avg MPG?

So far I replaced the speed sensor (common problem in all Hondas), exhaust manifold (cracked - another common problem), secondary o2 sensor, both CV axles, master clutch cyclinder (leaky - replaced the slave at the same time), and the usual stuff - brakes, rotors, tires, batteries, filters, spark plugs and wires, radiator and hoses, both radiator and AirCon fans. Still on original struts- I will replace those soon when I rebuild the supsension even though the steering is still tight.

The only thing that needs attention on the HX is the EGR system. It gets a lot carbon build up inside the passage ways. Don't replace the EGR valve when you get a CEL, most likely you have to remove the top cover plate to cleaned out the carbon.

I get close to 44 mpg if I drive like an granny, normal driving I get 40 MPG.

Last edited by gwl; 10-05-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Banned

40mpg is nice but u had quite a few problems

Quick Reply: 98 civic hx m/t toasted at 84,000?