General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

99-00 Civic Si

Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Default 99-00 Civic Si

Ok, well I have an 88 Honda Civic DX Hatchback right now that i'm in the process of selling. But, my real questions are when looking to buy a 99-00 Si, what are the things I should look at or check out before I make my decision? Or should I just take it to a shop and have them look at it? Sorry if this has already been posted, i'm new.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

just take it to a shop and have them look it over. There really wasn't much that went wrong with the civics of that generation. Just check maybe the water pump, timing belt and if the windows are on track. also find out how many owners there's been. And who you buy it from. A young kid will be more likely to beat on it, just sayin'. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 PM

So, do I just ask the owner if I can take it to the shop? I shouldn't need to buy it first, right? Sorry if this is a dumb question, i'm only 17.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 PM
HCF Member

Yes make sure who the previous owners of the vehicle are because kids love to beat up Civic's and you don't want to own a high mileage engine that has not been taken care of.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:01 PM

Good luck finding an unmolested 99-00 Si. They're the ones that get stolen or riced out or modded.

I've only seen 2 in Arkansas so far.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mnight
just take it to a shop and have them look it over. There really wasn't much that went wrong with the civics of that generation. Just check maybe the water pump, timing belt and if the windows are on track. also find out how many owners there's been. And who you buy it from. A young kid will be more likely to beat on it, just sayin'. Good luck!
Take it to a shop that YOU trust.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Old 09-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
Good luck finding an unmolested 99-00 Si. They're the ones that get stolen or riced out or modded.

I've only seen 2 in Arkansas so far.
Yeah, i know it hard, but i've seen about 5 or 6 here in Virginia. But, i'm not not getting it until around Christmas. If I can't find one around that time, what should I look for in your guys opinion? Because I really wanted a VTEC and I love the sixth generation.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

check if it's got a clean title, original paint, original motor, accidents, etc. once you find out that it has been stolen, recovered, painted, swapped, and been in an accident, then you can figure out another car to buy.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by SketchyyySi
Yeah, i know it hard, but i've seen about 5 or 6 here in Virginia. But, i'm not not getting it until around Christmas. If I can't find one around that time, what should I look for in your guys opinion? Because I really wanted a VTEC and I love the sixth generation.
Wait for one. Honestly, if you know what you want, then don't buy something else.

Although an Si in good condition is hard to come by....anywhere. Unless you're stuck on the coupe idea, the EX sedans came with a D16y8, which is also VTEC, they have power everything and a sunroof I also think the 4dr looks a bit better than the coupe, but that's just me

Search this Thread