General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Acceleration Cuts Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:55 PM
Default Acceleration Cuts Out

Hey, i'm new and i'll just cut to the point. I have a 2000 Civic LX and whenever i turn past a certain point the acceleration is cut and it just revs until i begin to straighten out again. At the point i straighten out it begins to let the acceleration back in slowly. I thought this was a safety feature or something but it's so annoying! I can accelerate a tiny bit when accelerating out of a turn but when i try to bend a corner or something it just revs revs revs until i straighten out the steering wheel again. If anyone has any idea what this might be i would really appreciate the help as it's SO annoying.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Acceleration Cuts Out

rev limiter? are you like reving it high when it happens?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:24 PM

i'll try to keep a watch and see if it only does it when it's gettin' past a certain RPM. but it doesn't stop the revs, i could rev it as high as i wanted to, it just won't let the car accelerate so that reving isn't doin' anything. my friend said it might be an anti-donut feature but if that's the case it is way too sensitive. i appreciate the suggestion, any more?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

maybe your inside wheel is spinning?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:05 AM

I don't think that's it either. It does it on the expressway, too. We have this one ramp in particular that I take pretty fast and it cut out the acceleration the other day, I guess because of the angle of the ramp. It feels like it cuts out the acceleration based on the G's or something. I know that's probably rediculous because it would cost too much money to make it do that or something but it's not really a certain point at which the steering wheel is turned that it cuts out. It's only when the car is gripping the road pretty tight around a corner, then it cuts it out. And there is no warning on the dash saying it's some safety feature, it just won't let it accelerate.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 PM

i reli think tht ur just gettin 1 tire fire and it doesnt see lyk its doing anything but it reli is. ive had similar times to where i take a corner real hard and my front just slide on no traction wht so ever until i straightn out. if anything take it to a dealer and ask thm about it

-JP

Old 09-21-2006, 03:15 PM

Do you have traction control on your car?

Old 09-21-2006, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

my buddy had the same thing happen to him in his accord, i dont really no whats its called..but you no the throttle cable?, well theres another cable thats attached to the pedal on the left side of the engine (if your standing infront of it) near the bottom towards the fire wall, its just a metal silver cable, you cant miss it...well anyways, that cable connects to somthing else, his was unconnected. Its just connected by a silver ball at the end of the cable that slips into somthing else, im not sure how..but ya it came loose, if the cable is not ripped off from the ball, you just need to re-attach the the ball to where is was attached to. Its very easy, i actually ended fixing it for my buddy..

im not sure if this is your problem, but his car did the same..he could rev it WAYYY up and his car would hardy move, but when he got it going..he could get his car over 200km/h so im not sure exactly what it does. But like i sead, if he floored it wile being still..it would just rev up and go really slow