General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Another SeaFoam Post, Sorry, Just Questions, Sorry :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:14 AM
HCF Member
Default Another SeaFoam Post, Sorry, Just Questions, Sorry :(

Alright, so for the past 2 hours I have been researching, watching , and wondering about SeaFoam. I went to AutoZone today and bought some engine degreaser and saw SeaFoam, and I remember reading it on the forum before and the DIY. Couple quick ?'s that I havent found answers too

- How do I add it to the gas tank.. just open the lil' door and put it seafoam into where the gas pump nozzle goes?
- If added to the gas tank.. can there be gas already in it .. such as a half a tank. Do I need to burn that gas and fill up to clear it out?
- Are there pics besides the DIY where I can see how to put the seafoam into that hose that comes from the Fuel Pressure Regulator
- How much into the FPR.. ive seen just a cap full to 1/3
- Do I just start the car back up if the car stalls
- Do I have to turn the car off after applying to both the gas tank and the FPR or after the gas app. and then the FPR app.
- After I unplug the hose.. what will happen to the car
- Is it pointless to pour into the "crankcase" if I just recently got an oilchange on Sunday.. but fine to pour it in the other 2 places?
- Wuts the PVC hose
- Will I need new spark plugs

Again, Im really sorry but also afraid to use seafoam on my car.. i read Windcalmers experience with it and it sounds a little bit like mine but its different when you want to do it to ur own car.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:30 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Another SeaFoam Post, Sorry, Just Questions, Sorry :(

Most of those questions are answered on the back of the bottle. Your car isn't going to explode or go straight to hell if you follow the directions on the bottle. If your worried there is a DIY on here with pics on adding it to your vac line.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 AM
HCF Member

if you put it through your gas tank, add it to fuel, not just seafoam. You want a mix, it just helps clean your tubing, filter,and injectors, that sorta thing. It will help some with the internals I guess running it that way.

I added mine, bout half a bottle, to my crank case roughly 300 miles prior to an oil change, and ran it kind ahard. I think it made a difference, it does seem to have a tad more power.

The PCV hose is usualy a little vacumm hose running off the valve cover, back into the air box. Some are different on different cars, but usualy you can tell, they are just little ventilation hoses, to let some gases back into the air to be burned up.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:02 AM

-Add it to the tank and run like normal
-Why the fuel pressure regulator? You should put it through a vacuum line in the intake.
-1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the vacuum line, and 1/3 in the crankcase.
-Pour it slowly and the car won't stall.
-wait until it's time for an oil change to put it in the crankcase, maybe 100 miles or so, 300 may be pushing it. It really thins out the oil and it loosens any deposits in the engine, you don't want to run it like that for long. the next oil change after that should come at like 1500 miles or so as well.
-Need no new plugs.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

in the DIY it shows fuel pressure regulator ^^

Old 05-03-2007, 02:21 PM
HCF Member

The fuel pressure reghose doesgo to the intake, thats where I added the seafoam into my car from.

Add it first into a cup or cap that the hose will be able to reach into. Justsuck liquid into the hosefromthe surface of the fluid, don't stick it submereged into the fluid or it will stall because it needs air coming in aswell. Go slow and add little bits by little bits. If it starts smoking a whole bunch while your doing it and you haven't finished putting a 1/3 of it in, I would recommend shutting it off anyway, and doing the rest a couple hundred miles down the line.

I did mine twice, the first time tons of smoke came out. The second time only a little bit so I knew it was clean.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: phan10m

- How do I add it to the gas tank.. just open the lil' door and put it seafoam into where the gas pump nozzle goes?
Add, as the bottle indicates 1/3 of the content, which in this case since its a 16oz bottle Add about 5.3 oz to be exact.
- If added to the gas tank.. can there be gas already in it .. such as a half a tank. Do I need to burn that gas and fill up to clear it out?
There should be gas in it. You want the car to run with a mixture of seafoam in it.
- Are there pics besides the DIY where I can see how to put the seafoam into that hose that comes from the Fuel Pressure Regulator
Show us a picture of your engine bay and we can tell you what hose to pull out. You simply take the seafoam and slowly and gently allow the hose to suck in the liquid. If you allow it to suck too much in it may stall.
- How much into the FPR.. ive seen just a cap full to 1/3
Add 1/3 or 5.3 oz which is stated on the bottle itself.
- Do I just start the car back up if the car stalls
Yes.
- Do I have to turn the car off after applying to both the gas tank and the FPR or after the gas app. and then the FPR app.
Turn off the car after you apply Seafoam through the FPR. You want the car off when you add Seafoam into the gas and oil. You want the car on when you add it through the FPR. Then turn off the car. Wait a few minutes. Then Turn it back on and slowly hit the gas.
- After I unplug the hose.. what will happen to the car
The car will run rougher than normal in most cases. Nothing bad will happen unless you happen to have a bucket full of sludge sitting in your engine bay which the FPR happens to fall in and suck in.
- Is it pointless to pour into the "crankcase" if I just recently got an oilchange on Sunday.. but fine to pour it in the other 2 places?
It's not pointless but it just helps the process. Yes its fine to pout it in the Gas and FPR only. When you do add it in the oil is when you should change the oil.
- Wuts the PVC hose
Answered in DIY.
- Will I need new spark plugs
Not necessarily. Depending on your car, mileage, etc.
Again, Im really sorry but also afraid to use seafoam on my car.. i read Windcalmers experience with it and it sounds a little bit like mine but its different when you want to do it to ur own car.
In short I've seafoamed my Civic(40,000miles), my moms Corolla(80,000miles) and my dads Dodge Dakota(180,000miles) and my cousins Prelude(100,000+miles). I'm only 18 and had no real great knowledge of cars or seafoam. I just read the DIY and researched here on HCF. It's simple trust me.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM
HCF Member

well im gunna go buy some in about 10-15 mins .. and ill let u guys know how it went

Old 05-03-2007, 03:16 PM
HCF Member

Make sure its dark out. If your car is dirty lots of smoke will come out. My dad and I did all three cars at the same time because he wanted to smoke out the other lot. Just for fun. Lol. If you come across any other problems get on here. I'll be checking on your progress.

HCFftw

Old 05-03-2007, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

^^^ Yeah I just called the local fire dept and told them that I was gonna be doing it and gave them my address. That way if they got a call for my house they would know not to send anyone unless I called them. They were fine with it and the fire chief even said something like "Yup, that there Seafoam is some right good stuff." LOL

Quick Reply: Another SeaFoam Post, Sorry, Just Questions, Sorry :(