General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

can i fix this???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Default can i fix this???

ok guys, i just got pulled over for having and exhaust that was to loud, i live in Oklahoma, i even have a CAT, is there a way to get this appealed?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: can i fix this???

Find out what the dB limit is where you live, then have the exhaust tested and take the results to court with you. Also find out if your exhaust came with something saying what is dB level was. And in the future, if you get pulled over for it being too loud ask the officer to measure your exhaust before he gives you a ticket. No human can judge dB levels well enough to say if its over the limit.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM

well he said that if you put a after market muffler on it can not be louder then the stock muffler the car had, i have never heard of that, and right now im looking threw like 10,000 pages of state laws and i cant find it.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

in cali, it's up to the officer's discretion. it says so in the books.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

It should be pretty easy to get the citation thrown out. The officer said that your exhaust can't be louder than the stock one. When you go to court, ask the officer how loud the stock muffler is in dB. Then ask him how loud your aftermarket muffler is in dB. If he cannot produce dB numbers, then you can say that his evidence is not good enough. His ears are not instruments of measurement. Just like a cop can't cite you for speed by simply looking at your car going by, he cannot cite you for bieng too loud without a sound reading. Also, check on the ticket if it cites the exact law you have broken, otherwise you will have to look through the state law. I'm not sure about your state, but the law for how loud your exhaust can be is sometimes a certain amount of dBs at some distance. If he did not get a dB meter and checked the dB at the proper distance, then he does not have sufficient proof.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

It should be pretty easy to get the citation thrown out. The officer said that your exhaust can't be louder than the stock one. When you go to court, ask the officer how loud the stock muffler is in dB. Then ask him how loud your aftermarket muffler is in dB. If he cannot produce dB numbers, then you can say that his evidence is not good enough. His ears are not instruments of measurement. Just like a cop can't cite you for speed by simply looking at your car going by, he cannot cite you for bieng too loud without a sound reading. Also, check on the ticket if it cites the exact law you have broken, otherwise you will have to look through the state law. I'm not sure about your state, but the law for how loud your exhaust can be is sometimes a certain amount of dBs at some distance. If he did not get a dB meter and checked the dB at the proper distance, then he does not have sufficient proof.
Exactly!!! That is what I was trying to say. LOL Guess I dont need to be watching star trek and typing at the same time huh?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 PM

thanks anyways guys but heres whatmy state law says

"
ยง47-12-402. Mufflers or other noise-suppressing systems - Prevention of excessive or unusual noise.
A. Every vehicle shall be equipped, maintained, and operated so as to prevent excessive or unusual noise. Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler or other effective noise-suppressing system in good working order and in constant operation, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in any manner which will amplify or increase the noise or sound emitted louder than that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.
B. The engine and power mechanism of every motor vehicle shall be so equipped and adjusted as to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke, or both.
Added by Laws 1961, p. 407, ยง 12-402. Amended by Laws 2003, c. 411, ยง 51, eff. Nov. 1, 2003."

you guys see any loop holes? if not thx

Old 08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

The burden of proof is on the officer/prosecution. Remember, you are innocent until proven guilty. The officer cannot prove you guilty. All you have to do is ask the dB of your car with the stock muffler. He probably doesn't have an answer. Then ask him what is the dB of your car with the current muffler. He will also not have an answer. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I see a serious lack of evidence. The officer does not know how loud the stock exhaust of every car every produced is.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

^^^ Even if by some chance he was a mutant and did know them all, he did not have a dB meter to prove that yours was over the limit.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM

hey, where was the officer when he saw you? and were his windows up? As well, were you gunning it? or going at a steady speed? I got pulled over for my truck a few years back and the judge threw it out after he listened to it outside.

Quick Reply: can i fix this???