HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Can You Answer My Questions? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/can-you-answer-my-questions-613/)

mugen88crx 07-06-2004 08:41 PM

Can You Answer My Questions?

I have a few questions concerning the 96-00 model Civic Hatchback... Did any of the HB models come w/ VTEC? If so which ones? DX? LX? Im unfamiliar with the model codes! Are they DOHC or SOHC? Does anyone know of hand how much one tips the scales at (weighs)? And what is there stock HP? Thanks for all your help!!!

NTX 07-06-2004 09:50 PM

RE: Can You Answer My Questions?

No USDM 96-00 civs came with vtec or dohc which sucks. If you want one for performance only, the 96-97 cx is the lightest but there's no power windows and stuff, it also has the least emission controls. When you look for a hatch stay away from cvt (continuosly Variable Transmission) models.

mugen88crx 07-08-2004 02:29 PM

OK... man that does suck i wanted one so bad too! So what about the earlier GEN... the 92-95 Model Hatchback? Which ones have VTEC? And what model codes have them... DX, LX? Please tell me theres a VTEC in them!!

NTX 07-08-2004 03:19 PM

I'm not sure about 92-95 but the only 96-00 that have vtec are the ex (sohc) and si (dohc). You could get the hatch and drop in a b16 or b18.

sacicons 07-08-2004 08:25 PM

the 92-95 hatches came with vtec in the si model. its a little heavier than the others in that generation,but some of that weight is from the brakes and sway bars and other performance items that the other models dont have. one of the weightier items that you really dont need is the sound deadening material under the carpets. the si got an extra thick layer of this and if you dont mind a little more cabin sound, this could make a bit of a difference. one thing to point out is that the US hatches dont have power windows in any year 92-00. some wont mind this. some will.

mugen88crx 07-09-2004 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the help! Ive decided to go with the 92-95 model and look for a VTEC! It should fit into my budget a little better than the 96-00 anyways! Im not worried about the CRANK windows! My previous car was a 88 CRX, Im sorta use to it! LOL :D

mugen88crx 07-09-2004 11:49 AM

OK... So I found a good deal on a 93 Hatch Si! I went to the dealer were its located and before even popping the hood asked if it was VTEC! They said yes, so when I popped the hood it came to my suprise to not see a VTEC Valve Cover, just an ordinary Black Valve Cover w/ the Honda H and Honda on it? I asked again just to make sure and they said yes. Being that Im not familiar w/ VTEC since i previously owned a HF CRX I was confused! The engine was a D16A6 and it was 100% surely Si cause I did a Lemon Check! Does this mean its not a VTEC?

mugen88crx 07-09-2004 11:53 AM

Or maybe it was a D16Z6... aaaah IDK? Help Please!

polo708 07-11-2004 08:09 AM

If its a real Si, then its a VTEC. did it look like a custom valve cover? Maybe the previous owner changed it.

Civic Si Hatchback Adds:
1.6 Liter, 125-hp, 16-Valve VTEC Engine, Power Steering, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, 14" Wheels with Full Wheel Covers, P185/60 R14 All-Season Tires, Power Moonroof with Tilt Feature, AM/FM High-Power Stereo Cassette, Cruise Control, Rear Window Wiper/ Washer, Tachometer, Adjustable Steering Column, Removable Cargo Area Cover, 2-Speed/ Intermittent Windshield Wipers, Body-Colored Dual Power Mirrors

mugen88crx 07-17-2004 07:30 PM

YUP! It had all that... and the valve cover did look fairly clean so maybe it was new! And it was def and Si cuz i did a VIN# check online and it came up 93 Civic Hatch Si! Thanks for all your help!