General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

carwash ruined my paintjob :(

Old 06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
HCF Member

i've talked to a friend and he says the marks are actually not from the brushes but swirl marks from finishing/polishing compounds... I can confirm this b/c when I tried to buff them out with the turtle polish the swirls got more and worse...

now my question is how to I remove the swirls??? lol
Do I have to use a finer cloth? I'm already using the microfibre cloth from walmart... should I be using somthing else? and what do I use to get the swirls out? more polishing compound? I tried waxing and that didn't work

Old 06-16-2010, 05:16 PM
HCF Member

just looked at your photos and was about to tell you that ISNT from the brush, but seems you figured that out.

I've been detailing for years so I know what you're going through, but fear not.. your swirls can and will go away if you do it right. first of all polishing compound is just that...a compound. it's not a cleaner, its a shiner. wax is similar so all you're doing right now is shining up your swirls. Go to the store and get something like meguiars scratch x which will work as a paint cleaner,

The secret to removing swirls by hand is all in your technique. You see in order to remove swirls out of your car's finish, you need to remove a little bit of paint. In order to remove these below surface defects, (swirls), you need to remove enough paint from the finish to level the upper surface with the *****t depths of the swirls until you've restored the finish to a flat, level surface.

To do this by hand with ScratchX, you need to,
* Apply to a small section at a time
* First spread the ScratchX evenly over the area you're going to work (before working it in)
* Work the microscopic diminishing abrasives against the finish applying a little passion behind the applicator pad
* Repeat this process with multiple applications after first removing the residue from each application after working it against the finish

after the swirls are gone, is when you use polishing compound and then wax.

P.S. you need to get an applicator pad (can be found at any auto part store in the detailing section) a microfiber cloth is for removing the residue of the product (scratch x/wax/compound) not applying it

Old 06-16-2010, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

thanks dude, will try this the next time I clean my car.

my biggest concern: is it safe and practical to apply the ScratchX all over my car?

and the steps should be:
1. wash and dry car
2. apply scratchX
3. polish
4. wax

Old 06-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

It's also a good idea to give the car a thorough claybar treatment before doing the ScratchX treatment. Again, you get what you pay for, but if you MUST buy it over the counter, look for the set from Meguiar's.

Claybarring the painted parts, if done with care, will remove all embedded contaminants from the paint/clear coat's surface. I have to imagine that since you didn't do this before, the embedded contaminants are what helped to swirl your paint even more-so during your compounding endeavor.

Wash the car
Claybar it THOROUGHLY!!!!
Rinse
Dry (Microfiber drying clothes are great)
ScratchX treatment
Wash and rinse
Dry
Apply Wax
Have a beer while enjoying your clean, smooth, deep looking paint
???????
PROFIT!

Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 AM
HCF Member

I agree with Forty04,

detailing can be very time consuming especially if you don't own a buffer.

The best place to buy detailing products is on the internet, I buy from http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net

great prices & customer service. But you can also pick up a few products here and there from autoparts stores. But like he said, you get what you pay for. buy a name brand, at the end of all your work you'll be glad that you did

you can also youtube meguiars detailing videos for further information

Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SPLAT
This is why i only wash my car by hand.
Its the Only way