HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Child lock - back driver's side door won't open (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/child-lock-back-drivers-side-door-wont-open-51127/)

RogerBurks 09-01-2007 03:00 PM

Child lock - back driver's side door won't open

I have a 1998 Honda Civic. One of my relatives accidentally engaged the child lock on the back driver's side door, and now it won't open.

Anyone had this happen, or know of a possible solution? Is there a way for me to disengage that child lock without taking it to a dealership?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Roger Burks

thisisoriginal 09-01-2007 04:06 PM

RE: Child lock - back driver's side door won't open

Couldnt you just flip up the little child lock switch on the door? There should be one.

cyberx32 09-01-2007 04:53 PM

Did you try opening the door from the outside? thats what the child safety lock does. it stops the door from opening from the inside.

thisisoriginal 09-01-2007 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: cyberx32

Did you try opening the door from the outside? thats what the child safety lock does. it stops the door from opening from the inside.
No. His relative is still stuck in there. haha.

RogerBurks 09-01-2007 06:46 PM

Clarification: it won't open from the outside or inside. It won't open at all. That's why I need help.

Thanks again.

cyberx32 09-01-2007 09:24 PM

Maybe the locking mechanism fell off from inside the door. Try to take apart the handle from the inside and see if its still connected.

AOL.COM 09-02-2007 04:39 AM

the only way to fix the lock is to get the door panel off , but , the door panel doesnt come off unless you open the door[:@], so you might have to destroy the door panel to get into the lock

gin0o0o 09-02-2007 10:35 AM

Did you try unlocking the door first?:D

windcalmer 09-02-2007 08:31 PM

All you need to do is call a locksmith that can come and jimmy the door open for you. Then you can pull the door panel off and fix whatever is broken. Most of the places the jimmy car doors are dirt cheap. Like $20 max. So just call on or if you have a slim jim then you can do it yourself.

Good luck.

cyberx32 09-03-2007 06:32 PM

ean to pull the whole panel off. First try to remove the little plastic piece right where the handle is. It should be one screw, and look behind it to see if the metal hook is still attached to the door