General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:52 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?

ORIGINAL: thisisoriginal

ORIGINAL: gocoho

- FWD with a 5 speed manual is great in the snow,don't have to use your breaks(that's where most people screw up driving on snow)downshift to slow down,won't need snow tires as long as you got some all weather tread. For the best donuts remember to pull the emergency break after turning the wheel sharply[8D]
But when you try to go into first even when you're holding the clutch down doesnt it grind?
- if you're going too fast, I don't usually downshift lower than 2nd gear, and if I do only from 2nd gear

Old 10-18-2007, 05:59 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ruhdwulf

The UP. Yup. That's a winter.

We had a rain yesterday after a long dry spell. The water and oil on the roads, plus some nicely ground up leaves, made for some slick spots in some areas. I looked for the slickest, oiliest, most mulched place I could find. My driveway.A second gear start wasa simple and effective solution to wheel spin.

Who says you have to start in first? It's not like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Thou shalt start in first, not starting in second. Thou shalt move thy stick shift from first to second, not pausing nor grinding. Never shalt thou miss, pause, nor grind for it is offensive to thy Lord. Thou shalt proceed to third, counting as thou hast gone: first, second, third. This shall be the order of thy counting and thy shifting. Skip not thy gears. Proceedest thou with haste to thy fourth gear, the commandment of thy counting. Thy fifth gear beckons thee. Assail it in the order of its natural progression. Thou shalt now reach thy goal, thy pinnacle, thy Grail. Thou shalt slippest thou into sixth gear so that the order of they counting and shifting has been first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth and God shall smile on thee and clear thy road.
LMAO! - I fart in your general direction! ROFL!

Old 10-18-2007, 12:09 PM
HCF Member

Ah the snow. Although I'd imagine snow tires would be the best idea I agree with herbaleyes, chains are where its at. It really depends on what the climate's like where you're driving. If its snowy for a majority of the year or you have to commute through the snow frequently then maybe a set of snow tires is the way to go. Personally, I only drive through the snow for a month or so out of the year and thats either around town or up the mountain to go boarding. If thats more what you're planning to do, I'd recommend chains and smart driving.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:11 PM

I just got my Si 6 months ago and it will never see snow!! EVER!! Buy a beater!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ruhdwulf
Thou shalt start in first, not starting in second. Thou shalt move thy stick shift from first to second, not pausing nor grinding. Never shalt thou miss, pause, nor grind for it is offensive to thy Lord. Thou shalt proceed to third, counting as thou hast gone: first, second, third. This shall be the order of thy counting and thy shifting. Skip not thy gears. Proceedest thou with haste to thy fourth gear, the commandment of thy counting. Thy fifth gear beckons thee. Assail it in the order of its natural progression. Thou shalt now reach thy goal, thy pinnacle, thy Grail. Thou shalt slippest thou into sixth gear so that the order of they counting and shifting has been first, second, third, fourth, fifth and sixth and God shall smile on thee and clear thy road.
Haha, I like it, too cool~ I should write that down and keep it in my glove box in case I forget.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

I'm a former resident of Labrador (not since this past tuesday) and if you get a nice set of snow tires and don't drive it like it's an SUV or truck, you should do fine.

Also, chains on tires is an absolute overkill and is probably illegal for road use in your area, check to see if you can use studs and that will hold the road like it was it's long lost mother. I had studs in my long bed truck (loved to whip the tail out under any application of the throttle) and with studs on all four corners it was completely under control.

Just don't make the mistake of putting only two on and only putting them on the front. if you put new tires or winter tires on only one axle of the vehicle put it on the rear. if you don't have any grip in the rear you will create a terrible traction imbalance and the rear end will slip out on you at any given chance. put them in the rear if you have to, but it's best to put on 4 or none at all. trust me and some of the other guys on here, we know winter, like me and my 22 years of living in Labrador where i spent 9-11 of those years in winter (5-6 month winters suck!)

Old 10-21-2007, 01:54 PM

Thanks. Chains would be way overkill here and I think they are illegal. I believe studs are illegal too, but I have had them on a car in the past and you're right Koots, they grab like nobody's business.

I'll try my first snow with the low profiles the car came with and be prepared to switch to steel wheels and snow tires all around if the low profiles prove to be skis.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and insights and the humor.

Mike P.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:27 PM
HCF Member

just make subtle movements, don't make sudden turns or acelleration or decellerations and it shouldn't slide around on you too much.
I drove around in a Cavalier with bald all-season tires one winter and i did fine until one slippery evening and i slid very slowly into another car and cracked the other guy's bumper. I got some new tires after that, so just be very careful. we don't want to lose a nice civic or a nice member.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 PM

My Jeep SRT8 Does great in the snow

Old 10-22-2007, 05:57 AM

i've been there done that!
new si's are bad in the rain and the snow. get new tires and dont put on the gas or shift when going around any coners, you will just keep going right into the rail. (bam)
GET NEW TIRES AND GO OUT DRIVING GET TO KNOW YOUR CAR BEFORE IT SNOWS!
good luck!

Quick Reply: Civic Si. How is it in the snow?