General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Damn oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Damn oil filter

i second the above post. if ever you have trouble removing an oil filter spear it and twist..

Old 04-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Cat Fuсker

I wouldn't do that for two reasons: 1. You do not know if the new filter will bolt in...you might have damaged threads, 2. you probably need your car in operating condition to get home...

Old 04-05-2006, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

i disagree just for the following reason. you're not damaging the block, only the filter. the filter has aluminum threads- the block doesn't. as long as you don't put the screwdriver thru too high you will not hit the block/middle of filter and damage anything. if the threads are damaged- it's already happened. you have to get that filter off either way. i've done this and heard it done with hundreds of cars and never heard of a problem.

and yeah..i do agree that if you're not at home don't do this.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Cat Fuсker

I have damaged the threads on the block once...and yes, with the filter...but it was on a dodge

Old 04-05-2006, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

lol at a dodge...

Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM

i dun think spearing it is all that great of an idea...lets say he does spear it with a screw driver or w/e and trys to turn it and it STILL dosnt budge, now hes got a hole in his filter which dosnt do him any good. an old filter thats stuck is better than an old filter with a hole...

Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM
HCF Member

if he spears it and it doesn't budge then it has to be welded and cut out either way so what would the problem be? are you guys speaking from experience here or just theoretical? you can never put a filter on tight enough for it not to be removable after speared. unless it somewhow fuses w/the block. even then it should twist off using this method.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:18 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ef4life

get a screw driver, spear the filter through and turn it till it comes off. it is messy but works
It sounds like a good idea except if it doesn't work your pretty screwed since you will have a massive oil leak. I don't think you have to worry about damaging the threads because the treads only go in about an inch or so into the filter so as long as you spear it towards the back you shouldn't have a problem. I'm gonna have to ask my teacher about that tactic, its the first time i've heard of it but sounds good.

Old 04-05-2006, 07:16 PM

i do it all the time, it works and i have never had a problem, and it comes off every time

Old 04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

well i am not worried about anymore, cause i am going home on the 13th, so i can have it replaced when i am at home at my stepfathers shop i will do that when i et my summer tires put on. but the spearing idea does sound ok, but i am here with out a fullside jack or stands, so if it for somereason won't budge i would rather be in a shop then my drivway

Quick Reply: Damn oil filter