General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Do I purchase the Additional Warranty ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Default Do I purchase the Additional Warranty ?

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a new 2007 Honda Civic Lx in the Royal Blue Pearl colournear Ottawa,Ontario, Canada. The car comes with a 3 yr/60000 km bumper to bumper warranty and a 8 yr/130 000 powertrain warranty.

I have two questions:
[ol][*]Should I purchase the extended warranty 6 yr/160 000km for $ 1057.00 ?[*]Should I get the rustproofing (electronic or spray), paint protection, fabric protection ?[/ol]
from the dealer ?

In advance, thanksfor your advice.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Do I purchase the Additional Warranty ?

i would do the rust proffing and stuff. the warrenty sounds pretty decent at a fair price also if it covers bumper to bumper, and alos covers the drive train.
sounds like a good deal to me

and what do you mean.?? by the dealer??

Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

i vote for you to get it, there's nothing like sitting there knowing that your baby is protected for the next 6 years and you don't have to pay a dime if something goes wrong.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

Get it! I got the 7 year or 140,00 kms waranty and it makes me everything less worry for me... and you have a good price too!

Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
HCF Member

no, no, no,--- stay away from the extented warrenty its a waste of money ,people come into our shop all the time with them & 99% of the time it doesnt cover anything - examples :
they dont cover seals or gaskets , so say you got a leaking crank seal & you loose all the oil & the engine locked up - they wont cover it because the seal went bad [:@]
axles: most axles blow up cause the boot rips & all the grease flys out , wont cover it cause the boot ripped[:@]
yes , they do cover things like starters & alternators, trannys (only if it has an internal meltdown ) if you stick with hondas maintainanceroutine you'll be ok - but itswiser to take the money & stick it in the bank & get some intrest
there are guys around that have 15 year old hondas with over 200k on them still running the original engine & trannys - so the chances of you having a major engine or tranny problem are slim-- good luck with it
& as far as the rustproffing i say go for - only cause you in canada

Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Hatch46580

What I mean by the dealer is: the dealer takes care of the rustproofing, fabric protection and putting the clear coat on the car.

Also, the extended warranty only means that I have 6yrs/130000 km, whichever comes first. This does not mean an additional 130000 km/3 yrs from the original 3 yr/60000 km warranty.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

yup he is exactly right same thing happened on my wife's car. it is a 06 kia (remember wife's car) and something like that happened and i got totally screwed. i paid more than that extendedfu(king warranty thats for sure. nearly double

Old 05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

I have never purchased an extended warranty on anything, and never will. Ifa companyoffers a warranty extension, they plan on making money on it. They are not trying to save you money. Yes, you might spend more than if you bought the extension (a rare occurance), but I bet if you add up all the extended warranty money you have spent, you will be far ahead putting that money to better use.

Just today I got a call from someone saying that this was my last chance to purchase the extended warranty. When I said I wasn't interested they just hung up. No good-bye, nothank you. I thought that was rude and am going to tell my Honda dealer about it.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:15 AM

I have had it work out in my favor before, it was well worth it (to the sum of $4,000 or so). The small amount of extra $ per month for the added security is a decision you'll have to make.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 AM
HCF Member

when i bought my used stock 2000 ex coupe 5-speed in october 2004 with 52,000 miles on it for $8995 (a steal), i could have gotten a 25,000 mile warranty for $1500 from the dealer.

i did not do it and now have over that at 80,000 miles on car now.
i never need it for one reason........its a honda.

i would say screw the warranty, i do get my car rustproofed every fall though even though i dont drive it in the snow and salty winter up here in new york. rustop

http://www.schmidtsautobody.com/rustop.asp

Quick Reply: Do I purchase the Additional Warranty ?