HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   does anyone know where? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/does-anyone-know-where-2585/)

karlos0221 01-22-2005 11:14 AM

does anyone know where?

yea...i need a new engine...i have a 96 honda civic ex supposed to be easy to sup up right? all i want to do right now is drop a vtec dohc and/or twin turbos i have the stock 1.6 non vtec is it really worth all the trouble to get a new engine? or should i just add the twin turbos to the stock? will the difference actually be that different? and if the engine or turbos...wheres the best/cheapest place to buy them :) -karlos

XCM828 01-22-2005 12:22 PM

RE: does anyone know where?

Are twin turbos really necessary on a 4 banger?

Kappa22 01-22-2005 02:18 PM

Twin turbos on a Civ? That's almost as bad of an idea as the cross-drilled timing belt (I'm not saying it can't be done...). Just do a heart transplant and ONE turbo... eventually.

karlos0221 01-22-2005 03:00 PM

heart transplant? and why not the twins? wont that be a lot more power? or supercharged is better?

Kappa22 01-22-2005 04:28 PM

Heart Transplant = Engine Swap

Ok, as for the twin turbos, you don't WANT to be pushing that much boost into your stock motor; it just won't be able to handle it unless you use really small turbos or really low boost. Also, a 4-banger doesn't really put out that much exhaust, so they wouldn't spool fast at all. And parts would be hard to find/expensive. It's just a bad idea; a single turbo is the way to go...

NOT a supercharger...

XCM828 01-22-2005 08:34 PM

Yeah twin turbos is just completely not necessary. You can get the same power with one turbo, and probably a lot faster response too.

sacicons 01-22-2005 10:30 PM

usually i would agree with you guys, but my buddy designed a system for a gsr and it put down 358hp with severely retarded timing at 12 psi. and very mild tuning. soon to be perfected. but i got one VERY important word for you. sequential.

Kappa22 01-23-2005 12:45 AM

Sequential is a no brainer on a 4-pack. But this isn't a GSR motor we're talking about here...

sacicons 01-23-2005 12:52 AM

hehe, true true. and this buddy of mine is an engineering genius. its doubtful that many people could get it to work. i saw the pics and blueprints of it and its freaking beautiful. its not too complicated, but its really an exact design. its just about the only one that would work well.

karlos0221 01-23-2005 03:20 AM

so its better to keep with the stock engine and just get the single turbo for surE?