General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Default RE: End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.

ORIGINAL: my05civic

how exactly do you posepone a court date? i know you call the number on the back, but how long can you posepone it for? i'm gonna try to put it off as long as possible, and after that, just hope the officer doesn't show up in court.

here's some random things i thought of that might help me.
- it was about 12 pm. everyone was out to lunch, no construction workers
- i was not speeding IN the construction area; i sped up coming out of it.
- the area outside the construciton area was 40, not 35 (i was "caught going 44")
- i had passangers that can attest i was not going 44; i was actually going 40, 41 tops.
- i've had no bad driving history
- i had all the paperwork on me
- i live in california where the speed limit is actually 5 above posted

what's the typical price for this ticket? (SMALL city in california)

also, how long is it before the insurance company knows of my ticket? and can i find out how much i have to pay by calling the phone number on the ticket?
All of this is why you should call a lawyer and see if he'll advise you for free or something. I doubt anyone here actually knows the law as well as a lawyer will. I mean I could be wrong, there may be a lawyer here on the forums or something, but I personally would rather call a lawyer than taking a stab in the dark. But I'm just not comfortable taking legal advice from someone I don't know on a web forum.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM
gwl
HCF Member

If you fight a ticket in California, you lose yourtraffic school priviledges. You will be hard pressed to prove your innocence to the Judge, even when you have witnesses. When I went to court for a small claim issue, they also had cases for traffic citations. Only one cop didn't show up and another was tossed out (pretty girl ran a red light) and the rest were all guilty of their offense. This was out of ten cases.

If I were you, I would go to traffic school. Its just a day in front your computer or a 8 hour class on a Saturday.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

dont waste ur time, pay the ticket...even if u fight it and u werent in the construction zone, u were going 44 in a 40 zone so ur still considered speeding theyll get u 4 dat

Old 07-31-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gwl

If you fight a ticket in California, you lose yourtraffic school priviledges. You will be hard pressed to prove your innocence to the Judge, even when you have witnesses. When I went to court for a small claim issue, they also had cases for traffic citations. Only one cop didn't show up and another was tossed out (pretty girl ran a red light) and the rest were all guilty of their offense. This was out of ten cases.

If I were you, I would go to traffic school. Its just a day in front your computer or a 8 hour class on a Saturday.
what region of california do you live in?

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 AM
gwl
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: my05civic

ORIGINAL: gwl

what region of california do you live in?

SoCal

Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If this construction is still underway, go back and take some pictures of the scene and draw a simple map of where the signs are, where the cop was, where you were, etc. This should be pretty convincing that you were not clocked in the construction zone.

Your insurance can't use this against you until after your convicted either by losing in court or not showing, unless you plead guilty early by sending the fine in.

Judges around here would instantly dismiss it for anyone who appears politely in court and has a clean record, even if they were to believe the worst case that it was 44 in a 35 construction zone.

Another point is if you go to court, be sure to have enough money on you to pay the full fine and costs because if you do happen to be found guilty, they won't let you leave without paying.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 AM
HCF Member

i live in norcal so maybe there's hope?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BX_Civic
I just got a seatbelt ticket the other night for 90 bucks
ya i got a $40 ticket the other day for not telling the passengers to put on there seatbelts lmao

Old 08-01-2007, 03:43 PM

tell them your only going to pay for the 4 miles per hour over the speed limit. hah. theyd probably beat u w thier night sticks so actually dont

Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 PM

u lucky you don't live here in va, caught speeding is a fine up to 3000 dollars. depending on charge.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: End of the month, got a ticket for speeding.