General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

EP3 or RSX type-s...

Old 01-11-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member
Default EP3 or RSX type-s...

well im looking at buying either an ep3 or a type-s...
160hp vs. 205 hp
weak bottom end vs. stronger bottom end
crappy head vs good head (could be swapped out...[&:])
cheaper and easier to find vs more $$$ and harder to find.

the ep3's are easier to find and are generally cheaper... but the k20 (which one?) thats in it isn't really built for making more power. right? i've been reading up on it and it seems that the bottom end is weak, and that it wouldnt be a smart idea to boost the stock motor. What kinda gains could I net with just bolt-ons? (i.e., header, exhaust, intake, and cams.) To be honest, I doubt I'll ever boost my car, so this probably wouldn't be a bad choice...

OR

the type-s is harder to find and tend to be more expensive. but the k20's (again which one?) thats in it has a much stronger bottem end (ie rods and pistons) and would be a much better choice if I ever decided to boost... even though I doubt I ever will.

To be honest, I just want a reliable semi-fast car that I can drive everyday. I figure that if i get an ep3, I wont boost it, but rather I'll just throw on a few bolt-ons and get about 200 hp... but if i get a type-s, I'd be more tempted to boost later b/c i know that it's more reliable...

Am I missing anything here? I mean, are there any other pro's and con's on these two cars? what do you guys think I should do? I guess Im just trying to find out if you guys think it would be worth the extra money and time to find a type-s...

Old 01-11-2007, 06:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: EP3 or RSX type-s...

type s's are not hard to find and if you want something that has the best engine honda has ever produced you will get a type s

Old 01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

the best engine honda ever produce? what the dif between the one in the ep3 and the one in the type s? i know they're both k20's... but whats different? I think the rods and pistons are different and the head, but are there any other differences? what are the codes for the two motors so that I can effectively do reseach? Sorry to sound like such a noobie... thanks for your help.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

oh sorry, i dont remember the exact codes, i can idenify them when i see them, but i cant remember. But, you will NOT get 200 horsepower with bolt ons on the ep3. expect more along the lines of 175 with FULL bolt ons.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

IIRC the EP3 is K20A3, and the RSX is K20A2. correct me if i am wrong.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

^^^^ correct

Old 01-11-2007, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

WOO HOO!

Old 01-11-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

so is the type s worth the extra $$$$?

Old 01-11-2007, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

imo, yes.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 PM
HCF Member

I found an '02 RSX type-s in a local paper for $10,900... its a goldish color... and i like it....
'tilt, cruise, pwr winds/locks & seat, cass/cd, 6 speed, wicked v tech here, leather, sunroof, all options.'

lol, yeah.. they spelled vtec wrong.

funny thing is, in the same paper from the same auto place, there is a '03 black SI... and its the same price!
"tilt, cruise, power windows and locks, cd, black, full power, sunroof, si hatch! only 47K miles, v-tech fast!"

the type-s must have more miles... too bad they're not listed....[:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EP3 or RSX type-s...