HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   expansion valve (a/c) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/expansion-valve-c-67668/)

trustdestruction 07-10-2008 12:34 PM

expansion valve (a/c)

So a couple weeks ago I got my A/C checked because it wasn't working great and I needed them to check my freon level. They didn't find any leaks, but they told me my compressor is weak and i need a new one, and my expansion valve is stuck halfway open and i need a new one of those. Along with that i'd need an accumulator/drier because i'd have to open the system up which would ruin the accumulator/drier.

trustdestruction 07-10-2008 12:35 PM

RE: expansion valve (a/c)

Anyway, I was looking under my dash a couple days ago, trying to secure my amp's 12V wire a little better, and I noticed a cable was not hooked to anything. I found that it was going to my A/C temperature hot/cold slider thing on the A/C controls.

trustdestruction 07-10-2008 12:38 PM

Then I found the spot it hooked to and put it where it went.

mk378 07-10-2008 12:40 PM

That does need to be hooked up, so when you put the slider to cold the heater will be fully turned off (it also turns off the water valve under the hood). Otherwise the heater and A/C will fight each other and the heater will win. That may be the only problem you have.

trustdestruction 07-10-2008 12:42 PM

yea, i had more to add to my question but the forum is being moody and won't let me post. lol.

trustdestruction 07-10-2008 12:43 PM

Is the thing that the cable goes to the expansion valve? Because if it is, then that would explain it being stuck halfway open, and theoretically it would be fine now and I wouldn't need to replace it.

RonJ 07-10-2008 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 26203

mk378 07-10-2008 07:17 PM

The cable doesn't go to the expansion valve. The expansion valve operates automatically based on temperature and pressure in the A/C lines. Basically the A/C is either on or off and the temperature slider controls only the heater. When the A/C is on it precools the air from the fan before it has a chance to go to the heater.

The slider cable controls the heater air door and water valve for the heater core.

trustdestruction 07-10-2008 07:18 PM

do you think there was a correlation between the cable being not attached and the expansion valve being stuck halfway open?

mk378 07-10-2008 07:20 PM

No. They have nothing to do with each other.

It's also hard to tell what the expansion valve is actually doing if you also think the compressor may be bad.

Does the line under the hood get cold?