General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

expansion valve (a/c)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: expansion valve (a/c)

Well the cable was probably disconnected when the valve happened to be half open. Is a the cable mechanism broken?

Old 07-10-2008, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mk378

No. They have nothing to do with each other.

It's also hard to tell what the expansion valve is actually doing if you also think the compressor may be bad.

Does the line under the hood get cold?
yea, firestone told me the expansion valve was bad. probably just trying to get money from me because they know it's a PITA and behind the dash. i'm a DIYer though and they aren't getting a cent from me except for the A/C inspection. the line under the hood gets cool but not cold.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Well the cable was probably disconnected when the valve happened to be half open. Is a the cable mechanism broken?
no, it's not broken. i must have knocked it off its little tab thing whenever I was changing the bulbs in my A/C controls.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

So your A/C cooling problem definitely is not due to the heater valve being stuck open? If not, too bad because that would be a really easy fix! By the way, I have never trusted Firestone for car servicing because they always seemed a bit shady to me, but that might only be the store in my local area.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:01 PM

i guess since they're not related then the expansion valve being halfway open was not caused by this cable being off its tab

Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What is the estimate for the A/C work? Why not purchase some manifold gauges and tackle the problem yourself? You sound pretty handy. It might be that you just have a slow refrigerant leak and that the system needs a recharge.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

What is the estimate for the A/C work? Why not purchase some manifold gauges and tackle the problem yourself? You sound pretty handy. It might be that you just have a slow refrigerant leak and that the system needs a recharge.
They said they didn't find any leaks. Also, I had them charge it to the correct amount when I got it checked. I'm going to replace the compressor, along with the drive belts, when I do my timing belt and tensioner.

Gotta replace the accumulator/drier too because i'm exposing it to the atmosphere when I replace the compressor. At least that's what Firestone said. Can you verify that info?

oh yea, and get this: they want 1100 something for them to do it. RIPOFF.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If there were no leaks, then why was a refrigerant recharge necessary? Is the A/C cooler after the recharge?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: trustdestruction
Gotta replace the accumulator/drier too because i'm exposing it to the atmosphere when I replace the compressor. At least that's what Firestone said. Can you verify that info?
oh yea, and get this: they want 1100 something for them to do it. RIPOFF.
Yeah, I think they are correct that accumulator/drier should be replaced.

Crazy prices! Always saves to do it yourself when you can.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:29 PM

1. I bought the car and the A/C wasn't working so good so I bought a recharge/conversion to r134a kit. I drained the system into the air (yea it's illegal, don't tell on me. lol) I filled it until the supplied gauge (not the manifold gauge) said it was a good level.
2. Then online I read it wasn't a good idea because you can't get all the R12 out without a vacuum, and that the supplied gauge was not accurate because it only reads the Low pressure side.

Quick Reply: expansion valve (a/c)