General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Filling Drilled Holes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
HCF Member
Default Filling Drilled Holes

I need to fill some holes in my trunk that I drilled for my air compressor system/train horn that I had installed for a while and I was wondering what the best method would be to fill bolt holes. I thought about using my MIG welder to try to fill them and I also thought about body filler. Anyone else have any ideas?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Filling Drilled Holes

Duct tape.

kidding aside. Mig welder is the best. Use copper as backing and fill in the hole with your mig. Welding will not weld to the copper unless you use copper wire to weld.

You can look for rubber plug to plug the holes.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya depends how good ya want it....
if you want it pro... weld it up and paint it after ya grind it down smooth to look stock...
or if ya just want it sealed maybe some epoxy... i prefer the plado stick style epoxy that you just hand mix together and just like chewing gum/plado just smash it all around the holes, kinda smooth it out a bit and spray over it the next day with some undercoating....

my old 86crx rear spare tire whell was about 75% spray expanding foam. LMFAO but ya know what it was sealed and shaped up decently with a blade. LMFAO very typical crap with a old crx i didnt care tho it was a 500dollar car and i still got my money back outta the car after driving it for ruffly 6months...

Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM
HCF Member

bondo is no good when it gets wet (thats why so many cars with it look like ish, the people applying dont know how to do it right). If the holes are drilled through to an area that will get damp its a no go IMO. If they are just under the carpet out of sight...honestly...I'd get some silicone thats weatherproof and plug em that way. You can weld if you like...the method above works just fine (penny works well as a copper backer if its big enough to cover the hole from the underside. If you know what you are doing you can stitch the hole closed with tack welds....up to you. Personally I think the silicone would work just fine though if they arent visible.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

You could put the bolts back in with some lock-tite on them. If they didn't rust before, they should be fine. If that will look bad, the silicone is a cheap and quick option.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 PM
HCF Member

I found some stuff that should work. Its this clay like stuff made by Bondo that you knead with your fingers and it mixes the 2 "clays" and then you put it wherever you need to repair. It says it works great on areas that are exposed to water, cause its for boat repairs and stuff.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:31 AM
HCF Member

Yeah if its made to be exposed to water then you should be g2g.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya the stuff i was talking about works great. i used it on the steam tables at my work cause they kept leaking from these little pin holes... and the only reason they ever came off and leaked cause some idiot new person started scraping the steam tables thinking it was like gum or something, and then i had to redo that stuff.

and that stuff held up to some serious heat!

Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

................................. train horn?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

And he removed the train horn?

Quick Reply: Filling Drilled Holes