HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Ford truck guy going Honda Civic, but help! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/ford-truck-guy-going-honda-civic-but-help-55756/)

skunker 11-17-2007 10:52 AM

Ford truck guy going Honda Civic, but help!

Hey guys,
First time poster here! Check this out...I'm a guy that drove Ford trucks all his life! Okay, don't hate me, but I am in the market for a practical, easy and dependable car that will last me for at least 10 years and therefore need something that I can use for my main driving on highways, across country, etc. Something that is easy on the gas payments, too.

So, I started looking around at a dealership here in San Antonio (Fernandez HONDA) and they are quoting me $17385 for a new 2008 LX SEDAN (auto). This was their first offer. I asked if they could bring it down lower. What price should I ask them for?

I am not interested in modding the car or racing peeps down on the streets. Just need a good car that I can rely on to get me places. I am single, 27 years old and no family at the moment, so just need something easy on the payments (and with cruise control, haha).

So, what price should I counter offer the dealer with? Thanks!

jpnolan 11-17-2007 12:19 PM

RE: Ford truck guy going Honda Civic, but help!

do a lot of research look around online and you can find what other people have paid also edmunds.com and kbb.com will tell you what its worth and try to pay under that price. good luck civics are awesome btw if you can get the si its awesome

Jeremy102579 11-17-2007 12:26 PM

coming from a guy who owns a 2000 civic ex coupeand a 1994 ford ranger(winter vehicle and for home repair usage), civics are awesome, i love my ranger too but my next truck will be a toyota........you cant beat japanese quality and reliability.

skunker 11-17-2007 12:30 PM

The dealer is now quoting me 16984 for this 2008 Civic Sedan LX (auto). he said:

"So $17,285 is the sale price, dealerinvoice is $16,985."

What's difference between sale price and dealer invoice?

Sprite_15 11-17-2007 01:47 PM

I read a really cool paper about sales people

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying...2/article.html

This tells you all there secrets and how they are almost all scams. I got my car on craigslist so Im not to sure how it works

thisisoriginal 11-17-2007 08:14 PM

no offense..but you seem to be the perfect culprit for a salesman to rip off.

You gotta be smart. You have to act like you don't need the car fast, and point out anything wrong with it, heck, even make things up.

chisox64 11-17-2007 11:28 PM

Invoice is what the dealer "pays" for the car. Sale price might be what they will sell it for. Never had it put to me that way before. Just ask them what the out the door price is. That will include tax, title, and everything.

If invoice is truly $16,985 (consult kbb.com or edmunds.com) and they will sell to you for $17285 ($300 over invoice), you're getting a decent deal. I got my EX for invoice (and I bought it from my neighbor whom I do not trust, because I do not trust car people). My credit union offered $500 over on Hondas. I think Sam's and Costco will also get you $500 over. Some guy on another thread got one for under invoice.

I have bought 5 new cars in my life. I have been within $500 of invoice all but once. I got under invoice once, paid invoice twice, and got hosed on the Pilot (the wife wanted it, they knew it, and they were selling like hot cakes). The most important thing (like others have said), is to make them believe you can walk away. If they see you all excited, you're done (See Pilot above). Ask them for $200 under invoice (or more if you feel confident). All they can do is say no. If they won't go down to invoice, leave, go somewhere else, or pay the $300 over. That is up to you.

Of course, once you agree on the price of the car comes the crappy part, warranty and accessories. I don't buy warranties, I buy Hondas, but I can fix my car and have access to a shop and cheap parts. I have no advice on accessories other than know what you're buying and know what it costs elsewhere.

skunker 11-18-2007 07:45 AM

Awesome responses guys, thanks. I read that link at edmunds about the guy who went incognito as a salesman and it really made a lot of sense to me because I can count down the number of tactics used on me when I got my first car. The story about them wanting to "buy" my car back because they had a "shortage" was timely. I just got that in my mail a few months ago and wondered why it sounded too good to be true. Someone wants to buy my truck at a good price?! Surely, i feel special! But, alas, I let my emotions subside a bit and came to the conclusion that yes, truly, there is really no way one can come out on top of any kind of deal that involves a dealership and a brand new car.

However, the article did help me appreciate car salesmen a little more--I now know that part of my negotiation tactics will be to side with the salesman and try to overcome the greed of the manager/dealership at the "desk" behind those thick soundproof glass walls. I'll let my salesman know that it's nothing personal with him, we need to overcome the manager. I'll make it easy for you if you make it hard on the manager for me.

Anyways, I sent some emails out to various dealers asking for their best price. I'll compare them all and then get back to them with a counter offer based on the fact that each dealer will be competiting against each other. They hate that. They hate edmunds prices.

Oh yea, what's up with people trying to save $100 - $200 here and there over or under the dealer invoice price? I'd rather some poor salesman pocket a little extra profit so he can afford gas on the way home from work. Come on guys, sometimes you gotta admit it's the customers that are the sharks.

johnb 11-18-2007 09:19 AM

You have too much of a heart bro, remember that these salesmen are hired to shark you!! You should be nickel-and-diming it. What happens if down the road you're on your last few cents and you got a car payment coming up.. wouldn't you rather it to be smaller even if it is just by a little bit that way you can afford to pay for whatever it is you need?

Worry about you, and you only.

P.S. If you can afford it, go for the EX (you get a sunroof! lol)

chisox64 11-18-2007 11:31 AM

I am all for the salesman and the dealer for that matter making a few dollars. What I am not there for is to get ripped off. If you don't try to swing a good deal, they will hammer you. That article on Edmunds (thanks for the link, it was a great read) mentioned more than a couple of occasions where the customer overpaid without even knowing it. I'm not going to feel bad being cheap. They like me can always say no.

Like I said before, I have paid under invoice, and I have paid over. Practically paid list for the Pilot. I don't feel bad for them, they don't feel bad for me. Remember, the guy may tell you he wants to give you a good deal, hell he may WANT to give you a good deal, but the bottom line is the more you pay, the more he gets. That is what matters most to the salesman. It is what matters to most of us.