General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Fuel Mileage

Old 04-08-2008, 06:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Fuel Mileage

ORIGINAL: Type RB

I'm enjoying a solid 34mpg in my '95 VX. I'm sure with a valve adjustment and new O2 sensor, I can probably see a slight improvement. The homemade CAI helped a bunch - it doesn't struggle up to cruising speed as much now.
34 mpg on a VX is pathetic. That car should be getting 45+ mpg. My 99 HX best nonhypermiled tank - 44 mpg 1 day city 5 day hwy. Curently hypermiling this week and I'm at 53.6 mpg at shut off.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

Post your logbook here Jesse69, I would like to see how the hypermiling is helping your mileage. So would the other folks here, I imagine. I'm happy to post mine off my '06 Lx manual sedan. Now that the weather has warmed up here in northern Illinois, my last tank was 36.5 MPG.

Name:  logbookMedium.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  61.9 KB

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

I'l enter my logbook at Cleanmpg.com after tax time. But it's all on Excel "Insert Comments" so I can't jpeg it. I just got my Dashdyno calibrated and it's spot on. So this is my very first week of hypermiling! It's like it's a big game for me to have my first 50+ mpg weekly tank! I never broke past 45 mpg nonhypermiled!

I only have maybe 13 weeks of mpg tank data though. Just got the HX in Nov 07.

My nonhypermiled mpg went up .5 to 1.5 after a synthetic oil change, bigger Pure One oil filter, and PCV Valve change.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

Since you obviously know how to type, just make a table here. We would like to see how you are doing. I'm sure others of us would like to get good mileage also, and can learn from your experience. I personally don't trust the add-on computers for mileage accuracy. They are good to show trends, but the old method of computing mileage from total actual miles traveled divided by actual gallonsused always seemed to me to be the best way. An easy way to make a logfile for us would be to make a chart on a piece of paper and scan it into your computer.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 1slowcivic

ORIGINAL: Vilex

What I usually do is... :

- Fill my tank to Full
- When its exactly half tank I check my odometer and see what it says
- Since i'm at a half tank, I gotta times my miles traveled and double it, so if I got 225 miles on half a tank, i'd get 450 miles on a full tank, then I take that and divide by 13.2 since thats my fuel capacity. Or usually I just divide by 13.

Thats what I do, because I don't like riding it all the way down to E, especially when gas prices fluctuate alot here and there, and usually I ALWAYS put about $10 bucks in at half tank, or fill up. It depends how thick my wallet is at the time lol.. But I usually get around 32~36 mpg rougly. About 70% is highway, and only 30% is city, since I drive 30 miles (there and back) to work. And only about 2~3 of those miles are city miles, and theres only about 4-5 stoplights between getting off the exit ramp, and going to my work. Another factor of the city driving is going to school, I hit about 5 stopsigns a day total driving from home to school, and vise versa.
That is the stupidest crap I have ever heard. Are you sure your not 16, just got your drivers licences and know nothing about cars? Let me use your philosophy for a second. So I travel 150 miles to the first quarter of a tank of gas, so does that mean i am going to get 600 miles to a tank? NOOOO

Your tank is shaped at odd angles, and even more so there is actually fuel that you can't get to (1.2g). The top half of the tank is bigger, hence why you get more milage while you are full, and once you hit half, well lets just say it goes a little faster than your theory.

You want a better way to check it. Choose the same route, same GAS STATION, go a week. When you fill up, either fill it up tell it won't take a drop more of gas (IE FULL), or go tell it clicks and then just stop. Now you can't use the later at another gas station because of the pressure that they pump at. You need a solid baseline. Try this for a couple weeks. Squeezing in that extra couple pennies, not going to the first click, all these things have effects on your so called calculations of MPG.

And 300 if your getting 42mpg at 70mph in an auto then I would say I don't know......hybrid???? See me Dodge has this cool thing that does instant fuel economy and my 400+ dodge ram quad cab gets 99mpg all the time. Its called coasting behind a big rig......
Geesh, thanks for the bashing, ******* >_>.. No, i'm not 16 and just got my license. I'm 18(Which doesn't make it much better), and sorry for not being a fuel fanatic. And yeah, I know its probably more accurate to drive down to E and stuff, I once drove down to E and when it usually gave me the fuel light is when I averaged my mileage, but for awhile I didn't see anything wrong with my calculations, since they were somewhat close to the first method I tried, so I went with my own little method, which apparently is horrificly unstable. But, oh well. I'll learn how to do it the right way, from now on I suppose.

I'm not here to pick a fight, but damn.. That was pretty rude of you to lash out like that.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM

Checking mileage is easy -- fill up tank and set trip meter to zero or write down mileage. Next time you get gas, fill up again - see how many miles you went and divide that by how many gallons it took to fill up.
Ex -- 235.6 miles divided by 7.08 gallons = 33.27 mpg.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: silver08

Checking mileage is easy -- fill up tank and set trip meter to zero or write down mileage. Next time you get gas, fill up again - see how many miles you went and divide that by how many gallons it took to fill up.
Ex -- 235.6 miles divided by 7.08 gallons = 33.27 mpg.
And statistically speaking you should continue this method for another 35 to 30 times to reduce the confidence interval of the mean. Also, using the same pump at the same station will minimize variablility between pumps (accurate volume and "topped-off-switch").

Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 PM

I can see that there is a lot of haters out there, I have no reason what so ever to lie about my mileage and being that I was driving since gas cost $0.27 cents a gallon I think that I can figure out how to check it. I start off slow never let the rpm get much above 2000 rpm coast to stop sign or lights and am driving in New Mexico where your dog can run away and you can stand on a tuna can and watch him for two days. I run AMSIOL 0w20 synthetic oil and shell mid grade gas. I don't have a detailed log book except over all MPG.
So with that said believe what you want but the bashing over MPG is so childish. Oh and Honda rates the auto at 2 more mpg on the hyway than the standered 34mpg for the 5 spd and 36 for the auto.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Jesse69

ORIGINAL: Type RB

I'm enjoying a solid 34mpg in my '95 VX. I'm sure with a valve adjustment and new O2 sensor, I can probably see a slight improvement. The homemade CAI helped a bunch - it doesn't struggle up to cruising speed as much now.
34 mpg on a VX is pathetic. That car should be getting 45+ mpg. My 99 HX best nonhypermiled tank - 44 mpg 1 day city 5 day hwy. Curently hypermiling this week and I'm at 53.6 mpg at shut off.
Good for you, stud. 'That car' probably got 45+ mpg when it was new... but that was a Helluva long time and lots of miles ago. And how can you possibly compare the mpg of an 5-year-newer HX against a VX with over 194,000 miles?

Did your car come with a blown engine and was basically just put it back together for cheap transportation? Didn't think so. Are you one of those 6'5" 300-lb monsters that basically has to fold up to get into your car like I am? I doubt it. Do you drive your car like an idiot like I do, or do you try to squeeze every last mile out of it? I'm guessing you're one of those 'coast when you can, low rpm-shifting' guys. I hammer mine because it can barely get out of its own way and it's kinda fun to drive. I used to scare little cars sh!tless in my '97 4x4 Dodge Ram - now I'm using one to save money. Considering the Ram usually gets around 12 mpg and the VX is so old (age & miles), I'm willing to cut it some slack.

And WTF, if I may ask, is 'hypermiling?'

Old 04-08-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 300mag

I can see that there is a lot of haters out there, I have no reason what so ever to lie about my mileage and being that I was driving since gas cost $0.27 cents a gallon I think that I can figure out how to check it. I start off slow never let the rpm get much above 2000 rpm coast to stop sign or lights and am driving in New Mexico where your dog can run away and you can stand on a tuna can and watch him for two days. I run AMSIOL 0w20 synthetic oil and shell mid grade gas. I don't have a detailed log book except over all MPG.
So with that said believe what you want but the bashing over MPG is so childish. Oh and Honda rates the auto at 2 more mpg on the hyway than the standered 34mpg for the 5 spd and 36 for the auto.
So start a logbook. We all would like to see how you are doing. Prove us wrong. If you have the overall mileageyou could show us how you calculated that also.

Note: I got my license in 1958, so I also have been around the block a few times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Mileage