General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

gas milage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:24 AM
Default RE: gas milage?

I have a 1998 EK Hatch D14 and I get up to ~40-45 mpg when driving very steadily on a bypass or motorway. That's driving like a real old granny tho. Normal driving I get about 30-35mpg, and if I'm really giving her some stick this probably drops to around 25-28mpg. T'is quite a thirsty little motor for a 1.4 ltr!

The car is 100% stock, except for a Stainless Decat pipe, CAI and a set of 17" alloys.

=chris=

Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 AM
HCF Member

[/quote]

45mpg, doubtful. How did you measure?

Also, that "mod crap" actually ups your mileage
[/quote]

i was crusing at 65mph on the interstates. i would fill it up with full tank, drive 360 miles and when i filled it back up, it took 8 gallons to fill it up again.
360 divided by 8 = 45

this happened the way down to atlanta from new york, mostly flat terrain driving.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Jeremy102579
45mpg, doubtful. How did you measure?
Also, that "mod crap" actually ups your mileage
i was crusing at 65mph on the interstates. i would fill it up with full tank, drive 360 miles and when i filled it back up, it took 8 gallons to fill it up again.
360 divided by 8 = 45
this happened the way down to atlanta from new york, mostly flat terrain driving.
Gotcha. It's not that it isn't possible, I just find it hard to believe without at least IHE and some seroius granny shifting

Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 PM

I have a 2003 DX 5mt sedan, and I'm averaging 41 mpg in mixed highway, suburban roads usage. I use my AC.

I drive in a somewhat spirited manner, that is, I will downshift into fourth at 65 mph to pass someone or to enter a highway, and I tend to use the gear that is best for the curve or corner in question. I do find the gap between 2nd and 3rd to be a bit to wide sometimes--I think this is Honda's nod towards keeping up with traffic from a dead start and then throwing you into cruise mode.

I use my trip odometer everytime I refuel. I let the tank fill until the autoshutoff clicks, and then I top it off until it clicks again. I usually use the same pump at the same gas station. I keep miles to the tenth of a mile and gallons to the hundreth. I always get a receipt and I always write the mileage on it before I pull away (I know, this probably loses me a bit as I have to start the car to read the trip odometer and write it down).

The lowest I've got is 39 and change after some serious back road bombing. Other than that, it's always been over 40, as high as 41.45 mpg.

So, I have a written record and I try to be as unbiased as possible about this.

I think that most mods will only increase your mpg, as the increase the efficiency of your car--you'll get more power so you won't have to shift as late and so on.

REMEMBER: I'm talking about U.S. gallons and statute miles here.....

Old 06-01-2006, 09:35 PM

Just an add on:

I do try to drive as efficiently as possible. To me, this means passing everyone who is going more slowly than I am (think about it), making every green light possible, optimizing my use of multi-lane highways to avoid fat, wandering, cell-phone talking, latte-drinking droids, and staying ahead of SUVs. So, I move along smartly, but I try to use my head.

Remember, it's all about time/speed/distance. You need to keep your momentum and your average speed up, and drive smoothly, anticipating the road ahead and the droids that are on it. Drive politely, but don't wait for the halt and lame, who are legion. Drive. Be the car.

I figure I can get something like 542 miles out of one tank of gas, although I have not gone past 460 yet.

DON'T TOUCH THE BRAKES unless you really, really have to.

This is what civicstealth lives for....

Old 06-05-2006, 07:04 PM

I have a 02 civic dx coupe I get about 650 kilometers to a tank

Old 06-06-2006, 09:55 PM

i have a 2000 civic ex.....and i was gettin ****ty milge...about 28mpg jsut like you...i changed my spak plugs cuz they were lookin prety abused and now i am up to about 33-35 MPG....i dont really buy the 45 mpg unless those guys have hybrids but u could check your spark plugs and see how the look.....if not that then buy a bottle of fuel system cleaner to clean out your injectors and everything internally...that helped me too....take it easy bro...peace

Old 06-07-2006, 07:31 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 21jdubs21

....i dont really buy the 45 mpg unless those guys have hybrids
you dont have to buy the 45mpg on interstae but i have no reason to lie to you. i dont rev my car past 4k. i shift at about 3200 rpms for city driving and get about 32-35mpg then.

come visit me and i will show you 45mpg.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 AM

i usually drive like you stole it, and i get about 25 to the gallon....but when i do drive economically i can get about 32 maybe....i dont know, havent gauged it yet...

Old 06-07-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

haha same way here [sm=guilty.gif] gas is great even when im driving like im being chased who can complain??

Quick Reply: gas milage?