General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Got the car, now where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Default Got the car, now where to start?

I bought a Civic Del Sol VTEC with 190,000 miles on it. It's at the body shop now being fixed up, rust repair and what not. Where should I start restoring and fixing it? I figured I'd start with the suspension and obviously a tune up. I'd like to restore at least some of the power that the car has lost over its life. Obviously, a motor with this many miles doesn't run as strong as it did from the factory. What can I do to give it some power back? Would Seafoam do anything? And is it safe to use high mileage synthetic oil? Also, I'm very big on cars that handle well. Can I make this car outhandle my Trans Am? What will it take? I'm going to use this thread as a reference, so feel free to link me to things you think would benefit me. I'd greatly appreciate it. I'll start, feel free to add on or correct me.

New bushings- http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...18103&cat=1053

I need new shocks/ springs/ struts, so how about this? It's going to be a daily driver. Will I be able to drop this only an inch and a half or so? 3" will be way too much. Plus, will this give me a dramatic improvement in handling? Or should I go with Tokico shocks and struts and maybe Eibach springs?-

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...517051710.html

I want to try and keep it under $1000 for now.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM

i would replace all the fluids (p/s, transmission fluid, oil, antifreeze, clutch fluid, brake fluid)
seafoam's a good idea too and should help a lot. do it 500 miles before oil change. instructions are in the DIY drivetrain section

i'd also get a short shifter

i don't think high mileage synthetic oil is good for your seals, i'd just use some nice synthetic oil like mobil1 5w-30

those bushings are a great idea

i myself use KYB AGX shocks, H&R Sport springs, and ebay front and rear upper strut bars. this setup treats me greatly. 1.6" drop, and amazing handling
i recommend it
KYB AGXs and H&R sport springs are on ebay for good deals
KYB AGXs - $330
H&R Sport Springs - $180
strut bars - $50
bushings you linked to - $128
all fluids and oil filter - ~$85 (also repace thermostat while the antifreeze is drained)
short shifter - $20 ebay shifter, $50-$100 B&M or skunk2

Old 09-03-2008, 06:56 PM

What would it cost to have the motor professionally rebuilt (kept stock)? If there are 190k miles on this thing...it could be a ticking time bomb. Just trying to get an idea now.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:02 PM

taken care of, a honda engine can realistically last upwards of 300k miles