General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

grandams

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 PM
Default grandams

Hello

Im new to this forum. I have a 2000 honda civic. I always wondered why is it that the pontiac grandam does not get enough credit. My friend owns one and its not a car you ll hear everyone talking about , but the power of the grandam is amazing, v6 , some of them are supercharge. I drove it and i was amaze at the power of the car;the looks are alright too ( some look good) . The only thing I didnt like was that they only come automatics. Any opinions???

Old 09-25-2007, 04:53 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: grandams

My friend bought an 03 Grand Am GT. He thinks hes the **** with it. He tries to race mustangs... I dont thinkGrand Amsall that good. To me they're more of anold man car lol. None of them come stock with superchargers... and the newer ones came with 3.4L 180-185 horsepower v6's. and got barely 20 mpg city. They are over produced and lose their resale value like no ones business. They're nice cars, but there are more powerful cars, and cars that get better gas mileage. Its like the forgotten middle child of cars lol. It isnt the best at power, it isn't the best at mileage, it isn't the best quality car,its in the middle.

edit...I forgot to mention, Ithink this should be in of topic, since it really has nothing to do with civics.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

I had a 95 Grand am GT. It looked good, with the GT body kit and the 3.1 V6. I won over a few civics with it

They are forums for these cars too. Just search google for them.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:05 PM

well it does have to do with civics because I m comparing a civic with a grandam, besides if i go to a grandam forum all I will get is people saying grandam are the best cars. Same in here if I ask about a what do you think about civics I will get people praising civics.

Anyhow, I own a civic , but at some point I debated it between a civic and a grandam , civics are lets say cooler cars because of all the modifications people do to it. But in a real race a stock grandam would smoke a stock civic, the outside i think of the grandam looks a lot better than the civic . However civics are easier to modify and are also a lot better on gas, that was the main reason for me to buy a civic

I see your point about the grandam being in the middle thats exactly how I feel a gramdan , but I was just wondering why they are not as popular as civics, acuras, and other import cars in the racing scene

Old 09-25-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

ok big boy, ill bring over a stock 07 si, and your friend can bring his grand am. After that race the only thing he'll be smoking is my exhaust

Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Now THIS i gotta see!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

I believe the olds mobile alero as the same 3.4 than the grand am.. And let me tell you its fast! I've never tryed an 07 civic so I can't tell.. ANyway, face it, american cars are less popular.. Altought I see lots of Cavalier and Sunfire around here... I hate em. But the new Cobalt SS looks good!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

if you like a car thats good for about 150k before it drops, go ahead and buy a grand am.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

its not the grnad ams that are supercharged, its the grand prix i beleive. and yes those are pretty quick, but they are very heavy cars.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

I'm a born and bred GM guy, but i can also see the beauty of design and engineering (which is why i have a Civic). The grand-am's (GA just for this conversation) is a modest mid size car. they never were performers in any way shape or form. They, like most domestic cars of the last 20 years, were not high horsepower vehicles but more high torque vehicles. they have a lot of punch off the line but have limited high RPM capability. the 3.1L and the 3.4L were not the best engines but they did produce enough torque to let you screech the tires at stoplights and could put you back in your seat upon acceleration. If i were you i would go with a Civic for performance, cuz it's not all in how it launches. it's also about how it corners, handles, accelerates at high RPM's and ultimately sustaining that engine speed. the Civic does those quite well. the GA would be gasping for air at around 5k on the tach, while the Civic keeps on screaming.

The GA's did have the option of a 5-speed manual as well. i went to school with a guy who had a 2dr GT with a 5 speed. i'm not sure which engine he had (might have been the twin cam 2.4L). All in all, the GA's better suited for city driving in which brief and powerful acceleration would be more useful, not to say that the Civic doesn't have power, it just doesn't have the torque of a 3.1L V6. but i woud choose a Civic anyday over a GA simply because it has way more potential and i wouldn't have to know the parts desk guys at the dealership by name. which you might have too with a GA.