HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   hatchback head/leg room question (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/hatchback-head-leg-room-question-52995/)

stve 09-30-2007 05:27 PM

hatchback head/leg room question

Hey guys, I'm new around here so go easy on me lol. I sold my VW Golf and now am looking at Hondas because of their reputation for reliability. I found a '98 Honda Civic Hatchback with pretty low mileage, but I am concerned about headroom/legroom. I don't want to drive two hours to go look at it and discover I'm too tall for it(this happened with a Scirocco a few months ago). I'm 6' 1' give or take, which I don't think is too tall, but I have long legs. How's the headroom and legroom in the hatchbacks? Thanks!

Lost 09-30-2007 05:34 PM

RE: hatchback head/leg room question

Unless your a fat mess (wait are you American?) youll be fine. Six-one isnt tall at all for the car, Im six-foot and have been in many hatches with no problems.

Masonn 09-30-2007 06:09 PM

I'm 6"4, and I have tons of room in my 95 hatch (which is smaller than a 98). Even in the back seat I have a lot of headroom, but the leg room I get depends on whos sitting in front of me. Honda's are suprisingly roomy. And I think you're a good height to fit in the car.

Type RB 09-30-2007 06:18 PM

I'm 6'5" and close to being a fat mess (at 300, thanks for that Lost...), and the only issues I have are getting in and out... because of the fixed steering column and stock wheel interfering with my right leg getting in an out.

Otherwise - no worries.

Oh yeah - mine's a '95 Hatch.

rice_patrol 09-30-2007 07:39 PM

i have alot of room in the front or the back of my 97 hatch. Im short, 5'4", but my friend is about 6 foot and everything is fine for him, just have to slide the chair back a bit if he's sitting in front.

Sigracer10 09-30-2007 08:23 PM

my dad was 6 foot and drove my car 8 years before i got it. the 2 door and the hatch have the same amount of room on the inside. and is plenty to be comfortable. great pick for a car

Lost 09-30-2007 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Type RB

I'm 6'5" and close to being a fat mess (at 300, thanks for that Lost...), and the only issues I have are getting in and out... because of the fixed steering column and stock wheel interfering with my right leg getting in an out.

Otherwise - no worries.

Oh yeah - mine's a '95 Hatch.
lol joking around man, is 300 lbs even "fat" for a dude thats 6'5". I had a (now NHL player) roomate that was 6'7" in high school and he was 175 lbs but was a stick man.

mybrokenblinker 09-30-2007 08:59 PM

Just so you know, if you're tall, helmets will be an issue. I know for autocrossing, I have to open the sunroof and put my head somewhat out that. I'm only 6'1". I know a lot of you are probably thinking "hey i fit and i'm 6'5" well thing is, with a helmet, you have to position the seat for someone that is 6'1", at least for me, not for someone that tall. In other words, I can't scoot the seat back, or recline it as much as the taller guys because it doesn't fit my proportions, but I have essentially gained that height. In simpleton terms, plan on getting some other seats if you ever do racing that needs a helmet (del sol seats fit me great since they sit lower)

Type RB 09-30-2007 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Lost

lol joking around man, is 300 lbs even "fat" for a dude thats 6'5". I had a (now NHL player) roomate that was 6'7" in high school and he was 175 lbs but was a stick man.
No worries - I know whatcha meant. Actually according to all of the 'medical' and 'social' standards, I'm obese. Although when I was at my 'ideal' weight of 195, I was pretty dang skinny. And I was also a stick-boy in HS when I was around 170 as well.

Thanks for being a good sport.

EWilliams2000Excoupe 09-30-2007 10:08 PM

Funny thing is, if you're worried about room, be glad you're getting a hatch opposed to a coupe. I have a coupe and everything is fine up front (I'm 6 feet, 225 lbs), but in the back my head rubs against the ceiling pretty bad, lmao. Doesn't bother me though.