HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Having trouble shifting into 2nd gear smoothly. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/having-trouble-shifting-into-2nd-gear-smoothly-52263/)

EWilliams2000Excoupe 09-18-2007 04:40 PM

Having trouble shifting into 2nd gear smoothly.

Just to start off, the tranny is fine. It's me, and my inexperience with manuals that's the problem :). I bought my awesome little civic about 2 weeks ago knowing that there was no way I was going to settle with an automatic. After driving one for 5 years since I got my license, I'm tired of how boring they are. I learned on a stick and I knew how to do it so I took the plunge and got one!

Anyway. When I shift into 2nd during normal commuting mode, it's fine. Let the clutch out smooth, she shifts smooth. But when it's when I give it some mustard and shift at about 5000-6000 rpm that I do something wrong and it usually ends up all sloppy (a little too sloppy on a few occasions [:'(]). I guess I can't figure out if I'm supposed to let the clutch out smooth, or let it out fast and give it gas just as fast after you shift.

Help, oh experts of the Civic!

thisisoriginal 09-18-2007 04:49 PM

RE: Having trouble shifting into 2nd gear smoothly.

its nothing really, its just either letting the clutch off to fast, or not enough, haha ...you'll get use to it in due time, trust me!

**Alan** 09-18-2007 04:51 PM

your probly letting it out a little to slow or you hold it for a second does it ride on the transmission for too long? if you let it out to fast without enuff gas it shakes a lil bit ....but wut is it actually doing then we can go from there

99lx 09-18-2007 04:55 PM

When shifting at higher RPMS, you can get away with basically dropping the clutch (letting it out quickly) and the transmission will smoothly synchronize. But if you dump the clutch at low RPMs, the car will buck. I'm not saying to just let it out as quick as possible, I'm just saying at high RPMS you can let it out quicker than normal, but still do it smoothly.

thisisoriginal 09-18-2007 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: 99lx

When shifting at higher RPMS, you can get away with basically dropping the clutch (letting it out quickly) and the transmission will smoothly synchronize. But if you dump the clutch at low RPMs, the car will buck. I'm not saying to just let it out as quick as possible, I'm just saying at high RPMS you can let it out quicker than normal, but still do it smoothly.

take it from a pro! haha, very true forgot to mention that.

ps: 99lx. i swear to god im drooling over your car.

99lx 09-18-2007 05:05 PM

lol, well don't get any ****ing drool on it because I just cleaned it.... j/k :)

thisisoriginal 09-18-2007 05:20 PM

lol, well don't get any ****ing drool on it because I just cleaned it.... j/k :)
hahahah, you should just clean it with drool!

haha, so back on topic so i dont feel so bad for stealing this guys thread! haha

EWilliams2000Excoupe 09-18-2007 09:34 PM

Wow, great reply! Yeah, I think that's what I've been doing wrong. During the shift, while the engine is in nuetral, I think I've been letting the rpms drop too much.

xgrafcorex 09-18-2007 10:58 PM

something i haven't seen mentioned that could be the case is..perhaps the tranny is a bit screwy thanks to the previous owner? if you "just" got it, and it's an 00..then someone else has had it for a good 7 years. just a thought.

Lost 09-19-2007 12:03 AM

I have this problem once in a blue moon also. I know for me, Im letting off the clutch before I put it into 2nd. I think the reason why it happens in 2nd lots is cause its that fast down stroke of the shifter from 1st down into 2nd. The only other time you do this is to go from 3rd down to 4th and rarly am I shifting that hard into 4th. My point is that (for me anyway) my 2nd gear shift is probly the fastest shift I make so my foot jumps the gun on the clutch and I grind it. Doesnt happen really anymore, but those are my thoughts on the problem. Wow I really read into this one....1:04 am go figure.