HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Help to buy my FIRST car & FIRST Honda Civic... thanks (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/help-buy-my-first-car-first-honda-civic-thanks-50087/)

Bananaboat11 08-15-2007 05:24 PM

Help to buy my FIRST car & FIRST Honda Civic... thanks

Hey guys --

So, I'm looking at a blue (not that color matters) 2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe, 2 door. Looks to be in great condition & drives well (took it for a test drive). Carfax is clean.. only 1 owner (it was a lease vehicle from a reputable dealer who only deals with NEW cars - so they auctioned it off for sale) -- it only has 33,047 miles on it!

...the dealer's price is 13,490... but the first visit they took off 90.00... I laughed in my head and left. I like the vehicle, but I'm only a student on a budget. I have full financing available to me, but I'd like to keep the monthly payments lower... so the lower the loan, the better. I'm dropping 2500.00 on the vehicle IF I take it.

The vehicle comes fully loaded as any EX would. Tonight my pops came with me to the dealer... somehow he got the dealer down to 12,800.00 ... but I really don't want to pay over 12,500.00 (If the dealer goes to this price, I'm taking it being it's in GREAT condition) but tell the dealer that he's getting the better half of the deal.

Kelly Blue Book value lists the vehicle @ 14,000.00 in equity & so does my financier. The dealer can't seem to sell the vehicle and it seems like I'm the only interested buyer at the moment. I know it's a buyers market now - car sales are down according to my buddy who deals at a Honda dealer near me (but can't get me any discounts on vehicles since he's a new sales rep - otherwise I'd go through him).

The 12,800.00 is still on the table even though my pops & I left the dealer... as we intimidated the dealer b/c we had done our homework. The thing that also gets me is the warranty is limited to a manufacturers (it's not a certified pre-owned vehicle)... and the manufacturers warranty ends in 1,000 or so miles. Not enough.

I told the dealer I was looking at a civic - same model, etc, etc, etc but it's a C.P.O. w/ a 1 year, 12,000 mile bumper to bumper. He asked how much... I threw a 12,900.00 figure back at him. His heart sank and said, "Wow, that's a tough call." I knew I had him by the balls (no literal)(no homo).

So... for the description of the above... should I TRY to haggle the dealer to 12,500.00 or go for the 12,800.00 in case he scraps the deal when I refuse?

Vehicle is in great condition, but the warranty is almost up and I'm a student on a budget. I'm technically doing THEM a favor by taking it off their hands. Its an expense they don't want or need - is how I see it. Thanks.

TSR96civic 08-15-2007 08:40 PM

RE: Help to buy my FIRST car & FIRST Honda Civic... thanks

Wow good story.. lol ! well ok I personally think you should shoot for the 12.500 that seems like areally good price on that year and trim level. But you could find a cheaper older civic and still be pleased, since you are a student on a tight budget... THE choice is yours, good luck.

Basil 08-16-2007 10:18 AM

I say buy a craigslist crx for $800 and do a JDM motor swap... student with a budget:eek: if you dont want to do that, i would say buy a 6th gen with a blown motor and put a swap in that... either way, the cheapest and most reliable hondas are the ones that have a blown motor and have a new(er) one put in it IMO.

But, if you are hellbent on this car really push the $12900 with warrenty... it would cost you more if something breaks... if not that then go with the $12500, if he is smart, he will take it.

s2000gtx 08-16-2007 10:28 AM

i would explain tothe dealer tht ur a student and u have an budget and u would take the car right now if he can sell it to u for 12,500. but anything above 12,650 is beyond ur reach.

Bananaboat11 08-16-2007 12:43 PM

I took the 2004 Civic EX w/ 33,000 miles for 12,800.00 -- IMO it's worth it. :D

I know I'll be happy. Just work a little overtime to make the 210.00 monthly payments + 164.00 for insurance / month.

I can do it.

Thanks for the advice :)

kelleykid 08-16-2007 03:22 PM

Sounds a bit like mine... I got it about 3 months ago. 2004 gold Honda Civic EX 4-door. I got it in almost perfect condition with 22,073 miles for about $13,750 (not including waranty).

Anyways... good luck with that buy. I love my car so far. The only thing I don't like is the color and the 2 extra doors. Be happy with the blue and only 2 doors. :P

-kelleykid

Spanky 08-16-2007 08:16 PM

not a smart choice imo. u can buy a hatch or an older coupe like 92-00 for like 2-3 grand depending, and buy a motor swap and some other parts that might be needed. then you got urself a good looking civic thats fast, and reliable for like 7 grand. or you could just buy a decent civic for like 6 grand like a 2000.

alpeffers 08-16-2007 10:12 PM

not everyone is mechanically inclined to do a motor swap... nore do they wanna...

I however do, just can't afford it atm, stupid mortgage

Bananaboat11 08-17-2007 03:36 AM

im paying ~215/mon + 164 in insurance.

it's reasonable for a student IMO workin 2 part time jobs. Last semester I worked 3.

+ I'm a personal trainer charging 30.00/hour while guys out there charge an arm + leg... so i def know i can make payments... 60 month financing. i graduate this year hoping to get a good job + grad school.