General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help!!! I went over ice with my car

Old 02-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Default RE: Help!!! I went over ice with my car

Yeah, just the work involved in taking out the existing skirt and then putting everything back together....thats the killer.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: akelkar

Right now, I'm leaning towards just covering it up. How? I'm not sure yet. Herculiner seems the way to go, but I'm a little wearyof what it might do to the resalevalue.
I'd try to at least repair the dent first.

Also,I wonder howeffective the blow dryeris going to be. I live in an apartment complex with open-air parking and its like well below freezing all the time these days in the Midwest.
I'd recommend you do it in a warm garage or wait for spring. The blowdryer is just to heat up the surrounding metal as much as possible without damaging the paint. (Maximum expansion and softening) Then you apply the CO2 to the dent. (Maximum contraction)

I'm still going to go get estimates from different body shops to see what they say.
'Definitely a good idea. You may also be able to pull off the skirt and straighten it from the back side. Just be sure to work carefully to minimize chances of damage.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:35 PM

Hey guys, sorry to awaken an old thread. But there's been some new development and I'd like your input.

So I went to Gerber Collision today - they said around $1300. They also said that it was possible to fix the rocker panel witha tinycrack in it i.e. notreplace the panel, just fix it.

Trailwood Autobody - Said the rocker panel would have to be replaced. Around $2000.

Bojans Autobody - Replace for $3100.

Random body shop (not an actual name)- $800 to fix the rocker panel and paint, etc.

So who am I supposed to believe? Does the panel have to be replaced or not??? Gerber said they would just pull it out and smoothen it and refinish, blah blah...the panel is starting to rust a tiny bit so I need to expedite my decisions.

Right now, I'm leaning towards Trailwood, the guy seemed like he knew what he was talking about and said that he would try to minimize/reduce the cost even more if I decided to pay out of my pocket and help with a payment plan or something.

BTW, the costs include two scratches which someone made on my left rear side with a carkey. Never will understand why people get pleasure out of scratching someone elses car. But oh well. You have to deal with it. Maybe install a furious alarm that goes of whenever someone touches it? So yeah, those scratches are very deep andaccount for$500 out of every estimate.

Thanks guys, looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:41 PM

Bojans Autobody - Replace for $3100. this guy probably assumed that insurance will pay for it.

Imagine this...

Guy at the shop: "Umm, yeah, your car is quite badly damaged, its also going to need a new Johnson rod and a new McGriddle uplifter and probably a threshold magnifier."

Me: "Oh really, a Johnson rod? That sounds serious."

How am I supposed to know if he's trying to swindle me??? He can basically make things up and I wouldnt know the difference.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

You should buy the part from the dealer or junkyard, and then take it to the body shop to install it. That should come out cheaper