General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Honda Civic 2000 - Dead battery - but brake lights work?! Also, can't disable factory alarm/keyless

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Default Honda Civic 2000 - Dead battery - but brake lights work?! Also, can't disable factory alarm/keyless

So I got home from vacation and went to pick my car up from the lot where it has been sitting for 3 days. As a walk up to the car I notice my keyless entry doesnt work. Strange. I get in and turn the key and it won't even turn over. I try to have it jumped by 2 different cars and it still won't turn over while connected to the other vehicles. I call a tow-truck and he is unable to jump it. What's weird is that the tow truck driver points out that my brake lights work. The tow truck driver speculates that it could be a security feature that is not allowing my car to turn over becuase I can not use the keyless entry to "disarm" the cars system BECAUSE the battery is 100% dead. Anyone have this problem before? Does it make any sense?! I also tried replacing the batteries in my key-fob but I still cannot disarm/unlock my car.

I'm planning on buying a new battery today and hope that fixes the problem.

Any thoughts?[/align]
Additional Details

Also, I am unable to move gear out of Park without inserting key in to little box/hole next to gear shifter. Does this further make you think that it could be keyless entry/alarm not disengaging?

Also, this car ran 100% before parking it in the lot, so I do not think it is bad connection on terminals. I'll check that though.[/align]
Also, if it is just a dead battery, why do my brake lights work?![/align]
Also to clarify, I CAN get in the car. I just can't start it.[/align]
[/align]

Old 01-14-2008, 01:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Honda Civic 2000 - Dead battery - but brake lights work?! Also, can't disable factory alarm/keyl

It does sound like the security system is still engaged. Read the manual for how to resynchronize it to your keyfob, and do that procedure.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: Honda Civic 2000 - Dead battery - but brake lights work?! Also, can't disable factory alarm/keyless

brake lights don't need as much as starting the car does. Is there a clicking sound when you try to start it? Try swapping batteries with someone too, not jsut jumping it.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Honda Civic 2000 - Dead battery - but brake lights work?! Also, can't disable factory alarm/keyl

Turn the key while the lights are on. If they go out your battery is too dead to start the car, or you have a loose connection at the battery. If they stay lit there is some other problem.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Honda Civic 2000 - Dead battery - but brake lights work?! Also, can't disable factory alarm/keyless

The brake lights work but not the headlights or any interior lights.

There is no clicking when I turn the key while it is being jumped...just silence. yet the brakes still work..so strange!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The headlights should always work too. There is a power distribution box near the battery that may have a bad connection or blown fuse in it.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: icdawg

Also, I am unable to move gear out of Park without inserting key in to little box/hole next to gear shifter. Does this further make you think that it could be keyless entry/alarm not disengaging?

Also, this car ran 100% before parking it in the lot, so I do not think it is bad connection on terminals. I'll check that though.[/align]
Also, if it is just a dead battery, why do my brake lights work?![/align]
Also to clarify, I CAN get in the car. I just can't start it.[/align]
[/align]
What you just stated...... the same thing was going on with my Automatic 94 accord Ex. It was the in-dash fuse box on the driver side. It was an intermittent problem..At 1st i thought it was my alternatorOR battery..Got them checked before replacing them and they where all GOOD...You might have a different problem but good luck