HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   How can i remove front grill without removing bumper? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/how-can-i-remove-front-grill-without-removing-bumper-93185/)

CivicJay21 05-07-2012 08:12 AM

How can i remove front grill without removing bumper?

Hello there i want to remove the "H" honda badge from the front grill from my 98 civic hatch but to do that i need to remove the grill, i tried to remove the bumper first but the 2 bolts underneath are so corroded and rusted so i cant remove them. The honda badge is held on by two screws that i cant get to without removing anything so i was wondering if its possible to remove the grill without taking off the front bumper?

cvcrcr99 05-07-2012 11:42 AM

From what I remember, the OEM grill is screwed into the OEM bumper on the bottom and clipped into the radiator support on the top. The bumper must come off for this I think. I may be wrong, I haven't had the grilled screwed into the bumper for years and years.

What bolts on the bottom are corroded? I don't even have any bolts on the bottom of my bumper ;). Just the two screws in the wheel wells and the clips on the sides of the grill.

CivicJay21 05-08-2012 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 777543)
From what I remember, the OEM grill is screwed into the OEM bumper on the bottom and clipped into the radiator support on the top. The bumper must come off for this I think. I may be wrong, I haven't had the grilled screwed into the bumper for years and years.

What bolts on the bottom are corroded? I don't even have any bolts on the bottom of my bumper ;). Just the two screws in the wheel wells and the clips on the sides of the grill.

On my car, theres the 2 screws in the wheel wells, the 2 bolts under the bumper and 6 or 7 screws on top of the grill. I just cannot get the bolt off from under the car its the only thing stopping me from removing the bumper. Thanks for the reply anyay.

ChristianL 05-08-2012 09:38 AM

I have the same problem (except I only have one frozen bolt). In the past, I've found that if I unbolt the rest of the bumper, the plastic at the bottom is flexible enough that I can pop off the cover, and pivot it down allowing me good access to things like the grille and headlights.

cvcrcr99 05-08-2012 09:59 AM

I would just cut the bolt, or cut the plastic bumper to free it from the bolts. Well, I would do that since my bumper if off pretty much every weekend. If you never plan on getting in there again, I would imagine ChristianL's idea would be best.

CivicJay21 05-13-2012 02:36 PM

I actually managed to remove the H honda emblem by using a very small screw driver and i put my hand through the front of the bumper, it looked really bad with it off so i have decided to buy a type r style black grill that will look better on my car along with the black hood, alloys and tinted tailights.