General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I'm probably going to have to start thinking of getting a new clutch soon.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Default I'm probably going to have to start thinking of getting a new clutch soon.

It isn't urgent--yet. My car has 109,000 miles. Runs perfectly, but the clutch is original. It slips just a little bit when it hasn't quite warmed up yet. But when it does it's fine. What can I expect in terms of prices for a new clutch for a 00' Ex? (not installed by me)

It started doing this about 3 days ago.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Default RE: I'm probably going to have to start thinking of getting a new clutch soon.

What part of Ohio do you live? I know a few shops in Dayton, I can probly get a good price for you

Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 AM
Default RE: I'm probably going to have to start thinking of getting a new clutch soon.

Columbus. There's a great shop right near me. It's a local place too. Not some national chain that screws you over every chance they can. I'm just trying to find out what the general price of a new clutch would be. I'm sure I would get a fine deal at this place I'm talking about.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

buy off ebay for the clutch parts... then just have to pay for labor....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...8766QQtcZphoto
thats who i bought mine from. quick shiping!
cost like 89bucks....

then ya just need some grease and i also replaced the fork retainer clip. my old one didnt hold in to well...

you probably could do it yourself cause its realy easy... hardest part is geting the tranny out

then you need a 12point sockets to remove the pressure plate. and just pop it back together

i did mine myself when the motor is outta the car. hardest part for me was geting the axles out. learned the hard way how to remove the axles.LOL
tranny isnt to heavy either you could handle it yourself...

but buying the clutch parts and just handing them to the mechanic guy then just pay for labor.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: EWilliams2000Excoupe

It isn't urgent--yet. My car has 109,000 miles. Runs perfectly, but the clutch is original. It slips just a little bit when it hasn't quite warmed up yet. But when it does it's fine. What can I expect in terms of prices for a new clutch for a 00' Ex? (not installed by me)

Just curious, what are the symptom of a slipping clutch? My 97 Civic 5-speed has 100k miles.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

If the clutch is slipping, when you hit the gas hard the RPMs will shoot toward the redline with no increase in forward speed. Or, when you are cruising, and the RPMs surge and return back to normal...

P.S EWilliams2000EXCoupe, I live in Worthington, it's pretty cool to know that someone else lives in the columbus area..

Old 11-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 99lx

If the clutch is slipping, when you hit the gas hard the RPMs will shoot toward the redline with no increase in forward speed. Or, when you are cruising, and the RPMs surge and return back to normal...

P.S EWilliams2000EXCoupe, I live in Worthington, it's pretty cool to know that someone else lives in the columbus area..
Thanks for the information.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

my civic ex is about to turn 100,000 and sometimes when I first start out in the morning first sometimes chatters - is this a bad sign - I put synthetic fluid in the tranny from amsoil and it seems to have gotten better but sometimes still does it - and it only does it when I start out first thing after that it never does it and shifts very nicely like it always has even if I stop again and start out it won't do it again. still has the original clutch and transmission. does the hydraulic fluid every need to be flushed and changed on the clutch? thinking this might help.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well its a good idea to bleed the clutch... it wont be PERFECTLY CLEAN... at least mine wouldnt fully clean... always had this little black cloud in the resevor when i put more fluid in it... i dont know why BUT i did bleed it dry and still after restarting it still had that little dirty cloud. i didnt have alot of new fluid so i didnt go to the extreme....
same as your brake system..... after so much age the fluid can absorb moisture and become dirty......
just bleed the system until the fluid is bubble free and looks clean.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

ORIGINAL: EWilliams2000Excoupe

Just curious, what are the symptom of a slipping clutch? My 97 Civic 5-speed has 100k miles.
Well for me, it's a definate slipping feeling. You'll know it when it happens. It won't accelerate. It'll just sort of bobble a little bit before it eventually catches and then starts to accelerate. When it does it to me it's usually in 2nd-3rd gear right after the shift.

Quick Reply: I'm probably going to have to start thinking of getting a new clutch soon.