General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

how to make my civic a bit more fun?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

If you dont mind going 2000 - 2500 buy a jdm front clip off any dohc honda. Preferably a b18, but and b series will be tons of fun and the front clip will include all the parts you need for the swap.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:38 AM

Thanks a lot for actually giving me some treal info! Im not looking for major power. Dont care If I can beat someone in a race or this or that, I just like tinkering with stuff. When I got the car the manifold was rusted apart and had no air intake. So I put a 4 2 1 stainless header on and a home made air filter system with pvc pipe haha. It also has i believe 3inch exhaust with a fart can that I bought it with lol. Basically I was wondering if the 1.5 sohc non vtec was wprth actually trying to make a bit more power or if it was just a waste of time cuz its not a vtec. But again thanks a lot for actually giving me real info.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

intake,header,exhaust won't do jack for that engine.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:33 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
intake,header,exhaust won't do jack for that engine.
This is the truest definition of a troll. That engine can be built to destroy lamborghinis.

Last edited by Fanboy_Troll; 02-05-2014 at 05:20 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

7.3 shop around for second hand parts online. Look for aem cold air intake with bypass filter, dc headers. Apex i cat back exhaust, if you feel confident pull the head and do a port and polish yourself when you put the head back use a thinner racing head gasket it will be stronger and give higher compression. Use premium gas and enjoy. All of these mods together will add 20 to 30 horsepower which is very noticeable on a light car like that.

Last edited by Fanboy_Troll; 02-05-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Thanks fanboy. I will gain benefits with those over the intake and header and exhaust I already have?

burns, I would rather spend 1200 on horse power than 600 on suspension..

Old 02-06-2014, 05:02 AM
HCF Member

Definitely, you have to take pipe size into consideration as well as hot air getting into your intake. The cold air intake will be sealed properly and have the right materials to allow the heat not to penetrate. Its a good idea to check your intake manifold gasketfor leaks too. Its a good to replace it with a quality one that protects the intake manifold from getting hot from touching the motor and heating your intake air.
A quality filter will give maximum air flow. A quality exhaust system will have mandrel bent tubing, **** ones will have the krinkle bent crap which reduces airflow. Plus a quality pipe that was made for your motor will be the right diameter to give proper back pressure. Breathing is everything on any motor. Has to go in cold and fast and needs to be right coming out too to keep it flowing.

All of this info can be found in this forum by putting in simple keywords like "d15 exhaust". There is tons of info in here and if you get lost just keep asking questions.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Thanks fanboy, its good to have someone knowledgeable give good info. What does it take to get a turbo on these cars?

Old 02-08-2014, 05:45 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 7.3
Thanks fanboy, its good to have someone knowledgeable give good info. What does it take to get a turbo on these cars?
I gave you the basics already in this thread for a turbo, i did forget to mention ecu upgrade. I cant get too detailed on it as ive never done it but there is tons of info on here that will show you how to do it step by step. Just search for turbo. No need for thanks, im just sharing knowledge from my experience and what ive learned on here over the years. This is a community and we are supposed to get along with each other and share knowledge and not hate each other unlike what IP does. Enter Sacicons in the search blank. He was the go to guy on here years ago. Everything he put on here is worth its weight in gold. If you read his posts you will know more than what i know on hondas and the best routes to take and why.

Last edited by Fanboy_Troll; 02-08-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
what good is a port polish going to do without a cam upgrade ??? this is like the blind leading the blind. why not just swap the head to ex with vtec and stage 1 cam then the intake,header,exhaust will actually do somthing other then make noise.

You must be one of the trolls from honda tech. What are you 12 years old. You dont even own a car do you? You just get on mommy's computer and beat out insults. Wheres the pics of your honda and your work you put into it?

Since you asked. . . A port and polish opens up your intake and exhaust ports and makes them smoother which creates less restrictive airflow which is the same thing upgrading intake and exhaust does but just complements the package. Yes he can upgrade the cam, but if he upgrades the cam why not get stiffer springs and a 3 angle valve job and a hasport ecu and je pistons and eagle connecting rods and blue print the motor? Oh yeah. . . He was looking for the cheapest route towards making his civic "a bit more fun." The tips I gave will do exactly that. Every noob that has read the stickys on this site knows that breathing mods are always your first step towards a more efficient motor and a few extra hp, not a sound. Also, not everyone on here is trying to build a 9 second track monster. Some people just enjoy a car that can zip around curves quickly in non populated areas. Not everyone live in the fast and the furious and does street races for 1000$ each. Its ok to enjoy your car at whatever level it is and do small affordable improvements along the way. Yes, turbo is better but much more expensive and time consuming in the long run with tuning and the need to change almost evrrything in and around the motor if you want serious hp gains. The mods i am refering to can give a proven 30 hp extra under the right conditions for around 1200 - 1300$. what youre talking about doing on the low side will cost 2500$ and on the high side can buy you a race prepped super car so whats the point?

Last edited by Fanboy_Troll; 02-08-2014 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Not finished ranting

Quick Reply: how to make my civic a bit more fun?