General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much can I lower before I need new shocks on 2003 Civic LX??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Default How much can I lower before I need new shocks on 2003 Civic LX??

I have a 2003 Civic which is completely stock at the moment but I would like to lower the car by 1 inch in the front and back. I have been told I can do this by installing lowering springs and I wouldnt need to buy new shocks. On the other hand, some people have told me that lowering my car 1 inch will eventually blow my shocks up and I should just go and buy shocks and springs all at once for it to be done properly.

I would appreciate any input from anyone in the know on the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 AM

Eventually, yes your OE shocks will blow out just like any other shock. More than likely they will blow out sooner then they are supposed to which is why people recommend upgrading your shocks when installing lowering springs.

So you have a few choices.

- Get the lowering springs, install them on the OE shocks and see how long they last. could be a couple months or maybe even a couple years, who knows. If they blow out in a couple months, you'll end up taking everything apart again, buying new shocks and re-installing everything. In the end it's more work, time and money.

- Get the lowering springs AND shocks, install them together and not worry about it for a long time.

For lowering springs with such a mild drop I'd go with either KYB GR2's or Tokico Blues.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM

With a 1 inch drop and a low spring rate, depending on their current wear, the stock shocks could last in excess of another 30,000 miles or so. However, it's best to just do it all at once. They will prematurely blow out, but when that will happen is not certain.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:30 AM

i have a 03 civic dx.. i have dropzone springs now but my rear is lower than my front! dont they have after market adjustable shocks i can put on the front?? if so what kind would be good for my car?? i want to have my front low like my rear..my rear is REALLY low..the lip of the rim meet the fenders..i want this also for my front end..any1, some1 help me! any advice, any opinions, thanks..

Old 07-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by sparkey
i have a 03 civic dx.. i have dropzone springs now but my rear is lower than my front! dont they have after market adjustable shocks i can put on the front?? if so what kind would be good for my car?? i want to have my front low like my rear..my rear is REALLY low..the lip of the rim meet the fenders..i want this also for my front end..any1, some1 help me! any advice, any opinions, thanks..
Adjustable shocks does not mean ride height adjustable. It means dampening/rebound adjustable, to change the ride and performance of your suspension.

My advice, get a good set of coilovers so you can adjust the height to w/e you want.