General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How much should I really do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
HCF Member
Default How much should I really do?

Hey guys,
I'm struggling with how much I really want to put into my Civic. I know in the spring (when tax returns roll in) I am probably either going to have to replace or rebuild the tranny (pretty the noise I'm hearing is the mainshaft bearing), but I am just looking for other opinions on how worthwhile spending a lot of wrench time on this vehicle is.
It is:
96 Civic LX
D16Y7
179,5XX Mi
Body in pretty good, but not great shape
Paid $2,200 last spring
Put $400 worth of tires on same day purchased
Immediately (Within a couple month) had to replace the Cat

I would really like to do a head swap, but I'm not sure exactly how much I have to gain for what I will pay, or if there would be any advantage/disadvantage to doing it at the same time as the tranny (or I guess putting a 6 speed in if possible)

So far this has been my stay at home wife's semi DD, as I have a work vehicle (Kia ),
but she is pregnant, and I assume she will want something bigger after the baby comes, making this basically my weekend/project car

Any opinions?

Old 12-07-2010, 12:44 PM

What noise does the transmission make and when does it occur? I can tell you what it probably is with that information.

And no, you can't put in a 6 speed.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
HCF Member

I figured the 6 speed was out of the question.
It's kind of a whiring/grinding noise, 1st and 2nd gear, happens between 1800-2200 RPM

Old 12-07-2010, 12:54 PM

do you hear a faint whirring noise at idle while in neutral (clutch pedal rest position) that goes away when you push the clutch pedal?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

Not that I've ever noticed, next time I drive it, I will pay close attention though.
If there is, what would that indicate to you?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:08 PM

input shaft bearing. which you would be in luck because i am selling a brand new one with seal for cheap because I sold my del sol before i got around to replacing the bearing. Also have axle seals, which you will need.

wait... this is a manual transmission you have, right?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

Lol, ok, I will let you know. Is this something worth trying to do myself, or just buck up and pay to have it done? If I go that route, I get a fairly good deal, my gearhead friend and sidekick on all my Civic adventures works for Ch**ker and knows guys at most of the local shops

Old 12-07-2010, 01:13 PM

looks easy, but time consuming. definitely something you could do on your own if you're any good at this sort of thing

http://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...ng-change.html

Old 12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

Looks like a pain, guess it will all depend on the all important cost/pain in a** ratio, lol
Any thoughts on doing a head swap?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:22 PM

Is that the throw out bearing or the TOB you mean... Also if the replacement of that looks to hard and time consuming think about doing a head swap thats gonna take time, and you will have to get everything tdc again and all that fun stuff... You might wanna find someone who can do it.

Quick Reply: How much should I really do?