General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

6 speed shifting technique

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Default 6 speed shifting technique

I'm hesitant to post this, but after almost 6,000 miles of adjusting my shifting, throttle, and clutch timings, I've lost confidence in myself at this point.

I've been driving 5 speed manual cars almost exclusively. In both of my old cars, I found it fairly easy to find a "perfect" timing for shifting where the engine would be almost exactly in line with the next gear by the time I put the clutch in, producing a clean shift at any rpm range or gear.

However, 6 months into owning this car and I still haven't found anything close to this on my 8th gen SI. So far, I've found two "acceptable" solutions, but both abuse the clutch, and aren't reliable in different RPM ranges. I'm at a loss at this point for what to try next. It's hard for me to ask people I know since most girls aren't really into cars, and the few guys I know drive automatics.

So I'm curious to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem, and how they overcame it. I don't stall or anything, but I feel bad abusing the clutch for up to 2000 rpm in a shift.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:11 PM
HCF Member

I had this same prob after i droped the V6 in my civic.

But as time went on, I found that 6th gear, is wortless.....i mean, the only time i ever used it was on the highway.

Going around town, once in a blue moon i would hit 5th, but then again i and driving a car half of the weight of yours.

But you are not alone with droping your car in 6th gear when all i driven was a 5th gear, gets a little nerve racking.

Last edited by SPLAT; 01-10-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Ya... Six'th gear... is mainly going to be an OD gear (OverDrive) its basically replacing Fifth Gear, but in doing so its giving you the ability to allow your other gears to be smaller ratio (Less speed more torque, sorry my wording is failing me here ha ha)

Honestly i would drive er' like a five speed regularly, then as a six on the highway myself.