General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

How VTEC Works

Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM
HCF Member

Pretty good video. Kinda confusing at some points but it worked pretty well to get the gist of how VTEC works.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by theblackpearl
Actually, i may have been wrong with the AEM EMS being able to adjust the vtec point, i think you have to do something to it but i can't find out what.

anyways, it wasn't the RSX, but the TSX that was tested on the December 2006 issue #93 of Import Tuner. they sent back the ecu to have hondata reflash it to change it to the best cam profiles where they shifted the vtec point to 4850 instead of 6000 rpms. with this change, the torque line truely was smooth and linear. during the vtec kick in, there was a gain of 38 hp and 34 lb-ft but they mention that the drawback is that the driver can no longer feel nor hear the vtec activate, disapointing many drivers.
Put an aftermarket short ram intake, and you WILL hear the VTEC switchover... it's like night and day once you get rid of the pesky sensory-depraving resonator.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:08 PM
HCF Member

Cool, nice video.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 AM
HCF Member

i see..... so thats vtec

Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 AM
Snail'n Admin

i see.....youre a tool bringin back old threads...i see it anymore and ill revoke your posting privelages or temp ban you

Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM

Good video. Also search on youtube for VANOS (BMW) and VVT (Toyota) which work in similar ways with the same result.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:29 PM

Great information on the video.Most likely,they are similar as other brands.I just know some preview but haven't know how it really works.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by lovely09
Great information on the video.Most likely,they are similar as other brands.I just know some preview but haven't know how it really works.

you sir are spam gtfo

Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

someone had asked about I-VTEC earlier. As far as i know I-VTEC is completely different from regular VTEC in d-b-h series engines. Its not 2 different cam lobe profiles for intake and exhaust but instead its just variable timing, intelligent variable timing.

upon boning up on my wikipedia i remembered i have an old issue of honda civic tuning that goes through, in detail for about 4 pages on vtec, i-vtec and a little on honda's latest they are still developing, a-vtec.

if i can find the issue i will photocopy it for you guys, its way worth the read.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Impreza WRX
If you look at the dyno chart, VTEC kicks in at a "notch" where the torque made from the low cam equals the torque made from the high cam. If you set it to turn on earlier, you will lose torque, but if you let it kick in later, you will get a sudden bump of torque. Neither one is good, because that can really screw you over when accelerating in a turn. At the very least an improperly tuned VTEC will make for a rough transition in power between low cam and high cam.

The only reason to change VTEC is 1: It's not tuned right and it engages rough, 2: Your torque curve changed from some kind of strange performance mod and it engages rough.

Also another thing with vtec controllers is that when you set the vtec to kick in at a lower rpm you are losing fuel economy. If you want the best fuel economy then set it at a high rpm so that it doesnt kick in at all. but also as everyone else said if your vtec is not properly tuned then it can mess you up motor wise. an easy way around that would be to get a hondata ecu and a laptop so that you can change your fuel maps and all that on the fly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How VTEC Works