General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I can't decide if its worth fixing...

Old 11-27-2009, 09:15 AM

I took some pictures and will post them up soon. Here's the basic scoop. Ok, not so basic. But if you care, read the whole thing.

My sister has a 99 DXVP 4 door. It had 170K on the engine when we got it. It now has 326K (original auto tranny!), needs rear brakes, needs fenders, a hood, a front and back bumper, a trunk lid, some other little bits of body work, and its burning oil. It's paid off but it's a turd. She's broke as hell and really needs a CRV or something. I hate to see a Civic go but looks like it needs to go.
I finally caught up with her at Thanksgiving and got a good look at the car. My sister is dyslexic. It has 236k, not 326K on the engine and transmission. All original, never really wrecked. Bumped a few times. The body damage is all cosmetic. What worries me is, of course, the engine. It's losing oil but the block is so filthy that I can't find out if the source is internal or external. I feel that it's gotta be at least partially internal because ****, it's high mileage. I put a can of Restore in today and let her drive it. She says it didn't feel the same, which I take to mean that the can of Restore helped lubricate the cylinder walls. The thing still sounds fine to me. Purrs at idle, not too much valve noise. I also put in a thing of Lucas injector cleaner for the heck of it.

When I last drove the car, it only had 170K on it. Back then, it got 42mpg and was awesome. The car still gets 35-36mpg. Im surprised at that. My own Civic still only gets 32 at best.

Someone else checked her coolant and said it was quite literally mud. (I confirmed this because they didn't clean the overflow reservoir.) The new coolant is nice and clean at least.

When I checked the air filter, I saw that there was oil in the air box. When I opened the throttle up, there was dirty oil residue on the bottom of the intake manifold. I'll have a picture of that up at some point. I don't know if it's a big deal or not. (more discussion after pics.)

The source appears to be the hose coming from the valve cover, right where it goes into the airbox. It drains down from the hose and back into the intake mani.

The header is cracked right down the middle and it's throwing a CEL for that o2 sensor. You can hear the exhaust leak badly but I don't know if it's a big deal or not at this point. I think the one on my car is cracked too but it's not throwing a CEL.

I got a thing of Lucas oil stabilizer. I run the stuff in my car so I was wondering if it would help hers. Can I use it along with the can of Restore I already threw in or do I need to wait until her next oil change? (Last oil change was 2 weeks ago, oil is already about a quart low.)

I'll update this post when I get back to the apartment. Pics to come. [edit] and here they are.

That's a mean, dirty, hazy looking glare.

Showing some stance with a scar under its eye.

Hazy cracked headlights, not worth saving. The grille has strangely faded to grey, kinda matching the rest of the car. You can't tell here, but the hood is covered in little pings. Looks like hail damage or something.

I think she got in a fight with a concrete pillar. The pillar won. Left a nice battle scar. Chicks dig scars.

She backed into someone's tailgate at walmart. This is after I tried to hammer it back out.

The only reason she has tail lights is because I put the stock ones off my car onto hers. 3 our of 4 of hers used to be broken in one way or another. And yeah, there's her license plate. I don't care. No one wants to steal this car. It's a piece.

This was like that when we got the car. I replaced that quarter panel extension with the green one so there would be something there.

Bumper won't hang right because it's broken.

I can't even begin to describe how that happened.

Big ol' JDM cracked windshield.

We are going to keep her in this car until the engine dies. We'll run it into the ground before we finally part it out. And seeing as though it has 100K less than I thought, that might be a bit longer than she wants. I'm wanting to get an idea of what it's worth in parts though, just to keep some options open. We've established that it's not worth much for scrap and not worth much in private sale.

Here's some of what's still good:
  • Center console
  • Airbags/cable reel
  • Tail lights
  • Doors
  • Door handles
  • Manual window regulators
  • Fenders are good with a little bit of bondo
  • Hood is good with a little bondo
  • Most of the interior can be cleaned and be good again
  • Gas tank lid
  • y7 plastic intake, resonator, and airbox
  • Manual mirrors
  • Windows and rear windshield
  • Auto ECU
  • Steelies!
  • Metal bumpers (not the plastic bumper covers)
  • Factory radio
  • New radiator cap lol
  • Gauge cluster
  • Honda and Civic emblems
  • ???
Yeah, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 11-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.