HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   i need to know what to buy in good steps to sup my up 99 civic d16 y8 (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/i-need-know-what-buy-good-steps-sup-my-up-99-civic-d16-y8-60989/)

liltlew 02-18-2008 05:58 AM

i need to know what to buy in good steps to sup my up 99 civic d16 y8

Anyone please.Ineed to know what parts i should buy first.Imjust starting to sup up 99 civic d16 y8. I alreddy have coldair intake and muffler. just need to know a some what ofa 123 setup guide.. i rely dont want to buy parts that need more parts to make a difference.do u juys know what i mean?lol Thanks to all to how reply, TIM

[IMG]local://upfiles/29141/631A0AEF629F48F985FC7E0B9C640716.jpg[/IMG]

koots 02-18-2008 06:33 AM

RE: i need to know what to buy in good steps to sup up 99 civic d16 y8

It depends on what kind of performance you want to wring out of your car

If it's basic street performance I recommend this going with a simple Intake, Header and Exhaust setup (I/H/E).
it gives your civic that extra little punch and builds a great base for future, naturally aspirated, modifications you might make in the future. any of these modifications can be made in any order, but you should do the header and exhaust together, as the exhaust is only as good as it's most restrictive part, so a nice flowing header and a stock exhaust will not net much of a gain. it's also the same if you go with a catback and leave the stock manifold on. the intake can be beneficial at any stage, as long as it's not too large of a diameter.

If you ever plan on running a turbo setup later on down the road, don't go with an I/H/E setup because you will end up replacing all these parts with stuff for the turbo.

liltlew 02-18-2008 01:44 PM

RE: i need to know what to buy in good steps to sup my up 99 civic d16 y8

thanks koots.
Istill would like to know what else i should get. so anyone can reply

Live_4it 02-18-2008 03:34 PM

You need to decide first what your hp goals are, and what your budget dictates. If you'll be happy with 10-15hp increasing throttle response, and only got $1000 to put into it. Than I/H/E would be your best route.

If you got $5k to throw down on your ride you have a lot more decisions. You can swap your engine, in my opinion gsr would be the easiest and best bang for your buck. But a lot of people like the h22's and k20's. However it's a lot harder to swap these motors if you have minimal experience and the k20's costs a lot.

Or you can turbo your current engine. If you look around and buy piece by piece you can get a set-up for around $2k. Don't go with ebay turbo kits whatever you do.

Knowledge, resources, and money largely dictates what your path with be. Research what you want to do, and what you need befor slaping stuff on your ride.

slottieskim 02-18-2008 05:29 PM

its all about(like mentioned earlier) your budget, but you should just turbo it. buy either a greddy or the edelbrok kit and youll have a HUGE differnce in power, and after i turboed my y8... it boosted my gas milage also

Littlehag 02-18-2008 05:52 PM

Research your ass off.

cyberx32 02-18-2008 06:16 PM

A good setup is not cheap, so if you really wanna make your car fast your gonna have to spend money

Kommando 02-18-2008 07:13 PM

Get a decent alarm before you throw any money at your car. In the meantime, decide how far you want to go. If you want to throw thousands at your car, your best money spent would be on a place with your own garage.

wallgreens16 02-18-2008 09:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Littlehag

Research your ass off.
well said. read dyno sheets and what not and DONT buy ebay parts what ever you do.