General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I need suggestions for better car security

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Default I need suggestions for better car security

My sisters 98 civic has been broken into 6 times now. "luckily" damage has only been done 2 out of the 6 times.

After replacing her ignition twice in a years time and drivers window once I am 1. getting tired doing the same work on her car and 2. starting to wonder if an investment in either a cheap alarm would actually be cheaper than replacing busted parts. Also I am curious if there are even lesser methods that work as a deterrent, like steering wheel clubs. She lives in an urban area so there is quite a bit of foot traffic moving by the car and I am wondering if a visual deterrent like a wheel club would be enough to make the car a bad candidate to break into.

I appreciate any help offered,
Thanks

(on a side note, is a busted ignition worth anything? the cylinder is ripped out but the rest is intact and I cant convince myself its garbage when the damage is local to one area.)

Last edited by sadpanda108; 06-17-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

no matter what you do there is no way you can prevent your car from being broken into. unless you get an alarm system like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

but piling up security features would make your car less desirable. adding visual features like steering wheel locks, autolocks, and an alarm system would help. i recommend a 2 way paging alarm system so that you can be notified when someone breaks into the car. you can also pile up features to the alarm system such as when someone breaks your window or when they put your car on lifts or tow trucks you will get paged. adding on something like kill switch would help as well. the point is the more security features you got and the more time consuming it takes for them to get your car the less desirable and less they want your car

Old 06-17-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
no matter what you do there is no way you can prevent your car from being broken into. unless you get an alarm system like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

but piling up security features would make your car less desirable. adding visual features like steering wheel locks, autolocks, and an alarm system would help. i recommend a 2 way paging alarm system so that you can be notified when someone breaks into the car. you can also pile up features to the alarm system such as when someone breaks your window or when they put your car on lifts or tow trucks you will get paged. adding on something like kill switch would help as well. the point is the more security features you got and the more time consuming it takes for them to get your car the less desirable and less they want your car
I get what you are saying, I'm looking for the biggest bang for your buck option out of the available choices. My sister is pretty tight with money right now and so the less she has to buy to achieve a desirable result the better.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Chubby Chaser

take the battery out and take the wheels off.
stop by your local alarm install shops. they usually have a deal for a a decent alarm with install included for 100 bucks

Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 AM
HCF Member

I'm using a compustar alarm in my sentra (yes a sentra lol). ive got a few different add ons like tilt sensor, proximity, back up battery, and glass break sensor. its also a paging system. the system has been working great for the last 3 years. im a very paranoid person when it comes to my cars. i just hate the bulky 2 way remote

Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM

Get one with a tilt sensor and a glass break sensors on every piece of glass.

What are they breaking in to get? Are they wanting the stereo or the car itself?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 AM

Yeah my question would be why are they breaking in? 6 times! Are they just trying to steal it. Or get something out? But just do anything to make your care less desirable as sfazngiants said. Criminals are always looking for the path of lease resistance. Maybe even try a blinking led light and alarm stickers.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Any thief worth his salt would've been able to drive the car away after punching out the cylinder, it being a stock '98 with no added security features. Maybe he's just a moron. Maybe he got to that point and then realized it's a manual car and he doesn't know how to drive those.

Last edited by mk378; 06-18-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Why? Well that I am not entirely sure. This most recent time they broke in and yanked the cylinder but gave up and just took the CD player faceplate. They didn't even try to take the rest of the stereo.

The last time they tired to steal the car, they used a crowbar to bust the wheel lock and used pliers to twist the white part of the ignition that can be unscrewed. Luckily for us the battery was dead and he wasted his time, strange enough he stole the dead battery.

In the past someone had broken in just to steal a handful of change from the little cubby below the steering wheel on the left.

Another time a random drunk guy busted out the rear passenger side window just for the hell of it (I'm assuming since he didn't take anything)

So I am guessing it has been multiple people each with their own random agenda and yet the only "successful" crook was the one who got away with 2 bucks worth of change.

So since I cant say that they are just going after a specific item Its hard to clearly tell what type of security to get. Also considering my sis is living paycheck to paycheck it cannot be a bank breaker. (being cheap vs. doing it right)

I really appreciate the help guys. ;-)

@mk378: Its an automatic so I am just sticking with him being a moron.

Last edited by sadpanda108; 06-19-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 AM

Maybe just try the stickers and blinking light then?

Quick Reply: I need suggestions for better car security