General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

I'm poppin the cherry

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Default I'm poppin the cherry

So I've decided to buy my very first Honda.

I'm completely new to the whole "Honda scene". I do know enough about engines to get me by but all my experience has been with GM motors. And even then I was(still am) never a big gearhead. So here I am testing the waters for the first time. I'm looking for a hatchback preferably mid 90's model. Something with the engine already swapped and everything done for me. I know I should probably buy something that I can "play with" but I just don't have the time. 2 kids, a wife, jobs etc. etc. etc. I figure if I buy something ready to go I can enjoy it and learn as I go.

One of my biggest reasons for switching to Honda is 1. My uncle runs a dealership out west and can get me pretty much any part for cost+shipping and 2. MPG...

Right now I drive a beat up 1997 GMC Sierra and I get maybe 17mpg on the highway. I'm looking to double that(or close to it). I also don't want just a stock Civic. I want something with some get up and run. With that all said are there things I should look for, and look out for, when buying my Civic? I've been doing as much research and shoving as much info into my brain as I can but I figure maybe someone will have an inside scoop. I'm thinking ideally I'd like to get a 92-95 hatchback Si. Although when it comes to engines I'm not too sure. From what I've been seeing around where I live everyone swapped the engine but very few took the time to swap the transmission. Is that a problem? I have 100 questions, all of them random, so maybe someone can shed some light on things for me.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 AM
HCF Member

I would recommend buying a stock civic and avoid buying a modded one.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by NewtoCivics
So I've decided to buy my very first Honda.

I'm completely new to the whole "Honda scene". I do know enough about engines to get me by but all my experience has been with GM motors. And even then I was(still am) never a big gearhead. So here I am testing the waters for the first time. I'm looking for a hatchback preferably mid 90's model. Something with the engine already swapped and everything done for me. I know I should probably buy something that I can "play with" but I just don't have the time. 2 kids, a wife, jobs etc. etc. etc. I figure if I buy something ready to go I can enjoy it and learn as I go.

One of my biggest reasons for switching to Honda is 1. My uncle runs a dealership out west and can get me pretty much any part for cost+shipping and 2. MPG...

Right now I drive a beat up 1997 GMC Sierra and I get maybe 17mpg on the highway. I'm looking to double that(or close to it). I also don't want just a stock Civic. I want something with some get up and run. With that all said are there things I should look for, and look out for, when buying my Civic? I've been doing as much research and shoving as much info into my brain as I can but I figure maybe someone will have an inside scoop. I'm thinking ideally I'd like to get a 92-95 hatchback Si. Although when it comes to engines I'm not too sure. From what I've been seeing around where I live everyone swapped the engine but very few took the time to swap the transmission. Is that a problem? I have 100 questions, all of them random, so maybe someone can shed some light on things for me.

Thanks in advance!
You might be happier with an Integra to be honest. Find a GSR 94-00. It's got a 1.7L DOHC Vtec motor in it. 170hp to the flywheel, something like 150 to the wheels.

If you're set on a EG (92-95) Civic, get an Si or you'll have no power. Even then, they make only 127hp to the flywheel or something? 1.6L SOHC power, ha ha.

Civics can be made to be fast, but aren't fast stock. Integras still get decent MPG (30 ish), but have a bit more power.

I personally wouldn't buy someone's project car, there's usually something wrong with it, but that's not always the case. If you buy a modded car, you've got to know how to fix it yourself, and be prepared for headaches along the way. People do stupid things to their cars, I've figured that out the hard way.

Good luck!